Rejoining at 48!

Hi, I left the MPGS just under five years ago and was previously regular and reserve before that. I saw the new DIN regarding rejoiners in early December and decided to submit an application. At 48 I'm well within the age 57 cut off. When I went down to see someone at the local ACIO I kind of got the feeling they were unsure as to what to do with me. Obviously I don't need the speel and leaflets and he did say I honestly don't know which capbadges will come back and want to take a punt on you! He didn't mean it disrespectfully at all and was just saying things as he saw it. Question is, am I likely to be viewed better by some corps over others? Since getting out I've worked in rail operations - freight and passenger so Movement Controller would seem an ideal role. Any advice, thoughts or pointers would be most helpful!! Thank you.

I’ve just applied to rejoin, this time the RAF. I’m only 44 though. So, I’ll be keen to see how you get on

I doff my cap to you both!

One serious question, and it isn't meant as offensive (I'm 47), but do both think you are fit enough, after being out for a while?

I've been out 5 years, and I know I am no where near as fit, or as slim as I was when I left!

I doff my cap to you both!

One serious question, and it isn't meant as offensive (I'm 47), but do both think you are fit enough, after being out for a while?

I've been out 5 years, and I know I am no where near as fit, or as slim as I was when I left!
The emphasis on personal fitness has changed, its still robust but it’s not 4 sessions of running and a Bergen tab every week, leading to perma-fecked lower limb joints. I’ve managed to maintain my fitness in the AR through conditioning PT just not to the same deployment standard I was at when I left in ‘15.
This is why I was very careful with the role I applied for. I’ve still got plenty to offer military service, just not in the same job. I’m no spring chicken after all. I thought “Why would you apply for something which you‘d done for years?” I wanted something different.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Likewise I'm 44 - but I have absolutely no idea what would compel anyone to rejoin, unless of course things haven't worked out quite too well on the outside? Or they missed the life?

As MB says, the fitness bit worries me. Although I do more PT now than when I was in, it's the constant injuries, joint pains, knees crunching when I negotiate a flight of stairs, gout, etc that prevents me seeing past the first log run or stretcher race.

More worrying is the reason they're opening the doors to the older generation. Something has obviously gone very wrong with either the retention process, recruitment process, or both.

Either way, I wish you both luck.

Last edited:
To be fair, I’ve done well out here and I can give or take the lifestyle. I just loved the diversity of the jobs I was involved in, which you don’t get out here.
I think it’s the fact that a lot of Senior Servers still have a lot to offer and a hell of a lot of experience to go with it. The TACOS have changed so why not the retention?

To be fair, I’ve done well out here and I can give or take the lifestyle. I just loved the diversity of the jobs I was involved in, which you don’t get out here.
I think it’s the fact that a lot of Senior Servers still have a lot to offer and a hell of a lot of experience to go with it. The TACOS have changed so why not the retention?
Think also of the freedom; no career ladder to climb and the option of giving an honest objective opinion, backed up with civilian (i.e real life) experience.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
At 53 and out for nearly 30 yrs think MPGS might be out?

Hi, I left the MPGS just under five years ago and was previously regular and reserve before that. I saw the new DIN regarding rejoiners in early December and decided to submit an application. At 48 I'm well within the age 57 cut off. When I went down to see someone at the local ACIO I kind of got the feeling they were unsure as to what to do with me. Obviously I don't need the speel and leaflets and he did say I honestly don't know which capbadges will come back and want to take a punt on you! He didn't mean it disrespectfully at all and was just saying things as he saw it. Question is, am I likely to be viewed better by some corps over others? Since getting out I've worked in rail operations - freight and passenger so Movement Controller would seem an ideal role. Any advice, thoughts or pointers would be most helpful!! Thank you.
Paras

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
What trade in the RAF?
Probably Pilot as the training takes that long you join at 22 & qualify at 40+
My Uncle in 1952 went from IOT, to Basic Flying to Meteor Fast Jets in 6 months!

Latest Threads