rejoining as postal courier,

estwist

Clanker
Hi Arrse-holes,

Just enquiring about the role stated in the subject, I have done my own research and some good, some bad.

Just hoping someone can shed some light on it, do I receive many licenses? All I hold is a full motorcycle license which from what I gather is not even applicable to this role anymore,

Do the just provide you with car license or do you get HGV also? I did consider driver comms spec aswell and up for assessment this time next month so just want to have a definite decision on my job choice by then, naturally.

Anyone have any advise, besides to not rejoin :p

estwist

Clanker
Arrse-holes eh? And from someone who could not hack life in the Guards

If you were Med discharged how are you getting back in?
Humour mate, have followed the forums for years just not posted much, guess its dried up then.

Med discharge doesn't mean I couldn't hack life, just said I didn't enjoy it in that post, he asked for opinions and I gave them. I think the guards is sold a certain way to potential recruits and the realities of it are hidden, is that so wrong to have an opinion? It has zero to do with my med discharge.

My grading meant I could rejoin after 1 year of rehab and on providing an exercise book and MRI result. Snapped achilles.

EDIT : I see you're/were SG, you should be aware of the dwindling numbers and the desperation of getting recruits in of course they're not giving them the full picture.

Last edited:

estwist

Clanker
Serious question: Why not join Royal Mail or DHL?
Appreciate it,

Fair point also, I want to join for the life again, I'm in my low twenties with no family here in the UK to fall back on, no major qualifications and just basically living pay check to pay check ( albeit quite a well paid job - considering the entry level job ). When I was in before I always felt a sense of purpose and looking to get back to that feeling. I know it sounds straight from one of them recruitment videos but the chance to actually pursue a career and gain some civvy qualifications and licenses along the way is what jolts me on. I'm not a native of this country so naturally I'm not the "fight for my country" type, but joining for my own well needed personal development :) . Also the job does seem to entail a different working life to Royal Mail and DHL, from my research.

estwist

Clanker
What quals do military stamp lickers get that you wouldn't get in civvy street?
If you refer the original post, I did say I was considering the Driver Comms Spec, my question was to do with that very issue regarding the postal operator role, what would be the better option etc..

CC_TA

LE
Driver comms spec will give you more mil quals and hands on and the possibility to work with a wider military community - postings and attachments to units doing army shit rather than done stacking of parcels, post and the like.
Postie will be sat behind a counter, shuffling mail into slots or sat on short hours at a RLC unit twiddling thumbs.

estwist

Clanker
Driver comms spec will give you more mil quals and hands on and the possibility to work with a wider military community - postings and attachments to units doing army shit rather than done stacking of parcels, post and the like.
Postie will be sat behind a counter, shuffling mail into slots or sat on short hours at a RLC unit twiddling thumbs.
Appreciate the answer and will take them into consideration, have another month to decide but obviously coming from the infantry side of the army I would like to do something hands on, I did consider Postie for the opportunity of travelling being very likely and possibly more frequent

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Humour mate, have followed the forums for years just not posted much, guess its dried up then.

Med discharge doesn't mean I couldn't hack life, just said I didn't enjoy it in that post, he asked for opinions and I gave them. I think the guards is sold a certain way to potential recruits and the realities of it are hidden, is that so wrong to have an opinion? It has zero to do with my med discharge.

My grading meant I could rejoin after 1 year of rehab and on providing an exercise book and MRI result. Snapped achilles.

EDIT : I see you're/were SG, you should be aware of the dwindling numbers and the desperation of getting recruits in of course they're not giving them the full picture.
Most certainly NOT a Woodentop!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think the OP's attitude makes him more suited to the Womans RoyalAuxillary Ballon Corps.

chimera

LE
I guess you could try asking at a Recuiting Office for a straight answer rather than on ARRSE. In simple terms you are just rejoining the Army, but now in the RLC. There is a pretty comprehensive overview of the CPD quals in the Postal and Courier trade on line from which you will see you will get a lot more usable quals (but not "licences") than you would have done in the infantry, but then that is not difficult.

Last edited:
Expect to be away a lot........its a very small trade and there is a lot of locations to cover.

I was P&C for 12 years and got over 2000 LSA days in that time......so be prepared for lots of travel.

I have served in 3 cap badges and P&C was my favourite.

PM me with specific questions if you wish.....

estwist

Clanker
Expect to be away a lot........its a very small trade and there is a lot of locations to cover.

I was P&C for 12 years and got over 2000 LSA days in that time......so be prepared for lots of travel.

Thank you very much for the insight, I do wish to travel and thats what has drawn me to the job choice!

I will compile a list for you lol! Thanks again.

Yes, that is the obvious option, but was looking more for people that has served in the job role Im interested in, the recruiting office will only tell me what I can already read online! But thanks mate for the link, I hadn't seen that!

Latest Threads