Rejoining after being kicked out?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by lloydy1984, Dec 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening everyone.
    Right ok, this is my story. I was in the army from 2002 until 2005 and ended up in court for a civilian offence (section 4) getting community service which i never completed.
    I then got in trouble again for fighting in town whilst pissed and that added together with my previous offence i was given a 56 day custodial sentence of which i did half before released.
    When I finished the sentence I was told by the army that I was getting kicked out as it was in the Queens regulations that I couldnt continue,and I was given a discharge and on my record the reason was misconduct.
    This was in 2005,and until 2008 I was a civi before I decided to join the French foreign legion. This is where I am now and I am nearly halfway through the minimum 5 year contract.
    My contract will finish in 2013 I will be nearly 29 and this will be 8 years since I was sent to prison,and my conviction is classed as spent after 7 years.
    My question is, would I, as the conviction is spent,be eligable to rejoin the British army again after my time in the legion is finished? Obviously I know I fecked up when I was younger but I've learned from my mistakes and would love to give the army another ago and serve my country again.
    I've looked through the search menu but have not been able to find what I was looking for.
    If anyone could help me then it'd be a massive help.
  2. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

If you were kicked out, and now there is a surfeit of recruits beating down the doors to get into the Army, do you maybe think that they maybe might consider your past misconduct and discharge a reason not to take you on again?
  3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

But worth a try if you finish your current contract in the Legion and come away with a decent testimonial. There is no reason why you shouldn't get in touch with the recruiting system now and see whether it is worth pursuing.
  4. Yeah thats exactly what I believe. With the army being full and tough to get into at the moment then yeah,the odds are probably against me but I was hoping that what Ive done between then and now might be able to have some bearing on any decision.
  5. Yeah I was thinking of doing that,but I dont know if it would be better to wait until nearer my contract finishes as I've heard the manning levels are full at the moment.
  6. Why not stay in the Legion?
  7. I've been here now for 2 and a half years and not to sound like Im biting the hand that feeds me,its just not something that I could see myself doing past the 5 year point.
    I'll always be grateful to the Legion for taking me on but Its not where I see myself. The soldiering side of lifes good here,we spend a lot time away on tour,out in the field etc. but its the loss of freedom that gets to me, things taken for granted in the army.
    In the Legion,we cant go back home on leave, dont have the right to own a car, cant live off camp, cant own our own bank account, cant even go out of camp until the weekend unless in our version of No.2s.
    I knew all this before signing up so I just crack on with it, but it still doesnt stop me wanting to leave once the contract is up and rejoin the British army cos I miss it and I'm british and being a Legionnaire is not the same thing as serving my own country.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Fair enough!

As already stated, get your arse over to the recruiting office ASP, but be prepared for a kick back.

There are other options, Join the TA & go back in that way.
  9. Cheers for the advice,I'll bear the TA in mind as well.
  10. I don't want to piss on your bonfire, but the TA will treat you as a re-joiner and pull you records from Glasgow!!

11. dont you get a new passport when your in the legion?
  12. French Foreign Legion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still wouldn't help him to join the British Army though.
  13. lloydy1984,

I presume that you want continue to be an infanteer but there are absolutely honking waiting lists for all trades in all services at the moment, bar officers.

I would suggest that you contact the AFCO as soon as possible. They may not be allowed to create an application for you while you're serving in a foreign army but don't take my word for it.

Good luck.
  14. Yeah but if he gets a new passport he will find it a lot easier to serve his country...
  15. If he hasn't got a valid British passport all he has to do is apply for one at the nearest embassy or consulate. Sod all to do with the Frogs.