Rejection letter - is there any point in appealing?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by WHU81, May 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I applied to join the army earlier this year and today got a rejection letter on the basis of having a history of depression which did include self-harm.

I can fully appreciate why the Army might have a problem with recruiting people with my kind of medical history (particularly after all the criticism they got over Deepcut, etc) but this was all back in 1998/1999 when I was a teenager (I'm now 24) and is now just a distant and slightly embarrasing memory.

I really am nothing like the kind of person I was when I was 17 and I know for sure that I would never go back to any kind of self-harming. I'm still really keen on joining up and even though I knew there was a possibility this could happen I'm pretty gutted that something which happened over 6 years ago looks like it might act as a permanent bar to me ever joining the forces.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has on this. I guess I have nothing to lose by appealing but am I in with a real chance or do I need to seriously start thinking about a different career?
  2. If the regular army wont take you, why not try joining the TA? You may find that they will take you.
    Failing that you could try to become a cadet instructor……

If you want to be a part of the army, don’t give up to quickly.
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Goku is right - try your nearest TA Unit. We tend to be a bit more pragmatic, and certainly will do our best to get you in if we think you'll make the grade. Afte a couple of year's good TA service - or less - htere's a decent chance of going for the full-time.
  4. or join the Spams and get paid more. Or the Legion - you'd be accepted back after that.
  5. Next time dont tell them anything. You can do anything you want in the long as you dont get caught :twisted: .
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TA tends to be the back doar round some recruiting problems. If the TA takes you volanteer for a tour then for a S type engagement. then perhaps regular engagement.

7. Odd this a lot of us who are in are trying imaginative ways to get out and one person on the out desperately wanting to get in.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Get someone who is spitting image of first poster to swap places :lol:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cheers for those replies guys,

I'm not giving up just yet but it does look like the odds are against me. I'm gonna ask Careers about the TA as well.

Does anyone happen to have any idea whether the rules are as tight for the RAF/Navy? Not quite what I wanted to do but it's gotta be better than sitting behind a desk for the rest of my twenties....
  10. All the best getting in mate, I'm in the middle of joining myself, and a situation like yours sounds like my worst nightmare.
  11. Go to the nearest careers office apart from the one you have already been to . Dont mention a thing about your previous application , no matter how tempting it is dont . And try again . There is a good chance that the rejection matter was decided at that office you first went too . Dont mention a thing . Wear a suit read some good papers before hand so you know what is really going on in the world . Watch the news all the time . Find out as much as you possibly can about the army and the whole forces , recent conflicts, NATO etc . There is so much dross going to join up these days they may fall for it . If there is no chance at that point , go to the TA centre ref joining them not the careers office . And once again at the TA centre dont mention a thing about your problems when you were a kid . All the best and keep us all posted . You may get a PM from some one i know who works in a careers office .
  12. Which paper is it you work for ?
  13. Toss you hat at the RAF, Royal Navy/Royal Marines. You may be lucky enough and it could work, try also getting a letter written from a psychologist who is willing to given you a personal examination.
    That could help, good luck and if all else fails Via Legionaire!

take care, 2cb
  14. If you want it badly enough there are ways. As already suggested try the TA - work hard at it for a few years and then apply again. I wish you the best.
  15. There are the Royal Marines and the RAF have the Regiment for those of a rugged disposition. There are also a few desk jobs!

As I vaguely recall from joining up, your GP fills in a medical questionnaire for submission to the recruiters. Someone correct me if I am wrong! So it may be down to the GP what goes on the form.

Of course, there are other avenues of medical and psychological help than the GP route and I believe counsellors are supposed to be bound by confidentiality. In this case, the information may not be on medical notes.

It is unfortunate that depression - a genuine illness that affects much of the population and is treatable - is still seen in this light. However, the Services are aware of the stresses of military life and very cautious about placing people in a position where previous medical history - for example a knee injury - may cause later problems, particularly post-Deepcut. In the case of depression, it is disappointing that a risk assessment is not carried out, as it can be treated and stress in the form of a challenging lifestyle can be of positive mental benefit.

I suspect that the decision whether to disclose this information falls somewhere in a grey area where common sense, integrity and self-knowledge meet.

From a personal perspective I had a mild condition (without symptoms but which generated slightly abnormal blood test results) that I disclosed on joining the TA. I was told by the MO not to mention it again! However, on entering full-time service some years later I was subjected to lengthy medical probing before getting the all-clear!