Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Rejection Appeal - Response time?

Hi Guys and Girls,

Apologies if this has been queried/answered before, I had a quick look through the stickied thread and a search but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Basically, I was wondering how long it normally takes for an appeal to be responded to by the AOSB Medical Centre?

In November I received a letter saying I was unsuitable for service due to a knee operation which cited a procedure I don't think I have had. My surgeon's view was the same as mine after I queried him, which formed the basis of the appeal.

I sent my appeal off in the second week of December after gathering the relevant testimonies from GPs, physios, surgeon etc and am still waiting on a response.

I realise Christmas and New Year is a busy time of the year for everyone so I wasn't expecting any immediate response but would like a general idea, if possible, of when one may come.

Also, I realise the whole appeal process is on 'the off chance' of the AOSB Medical Centre reconsidering my case and that they likely have many similar candidates without the knee operation, but I don't want to look back and 'wish' I'd appealed. If I receive another letter stating that they still consider me unsuitable then, fine, I will reassess my career aims.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

AMS were on leave from the 17th, so doubt it has even been looked at yet. From the guys I know who appealed (who were all told no), it can take a couple weeks, to a few months.

Hi Guys and Girls,

Apologies if this has been queried/answered before, I had a quick look through the stickied thread and a search but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Basically, I was wondering how long it normally takes for an appeal to be responded to by the AOSB Medical Centre?

In November I received a letter saying I was unsuitable for service due to a knee operation which cited a procedure I don't think I have had. My surgeon's view was the same as mine after I queried him, which formed the basis of the appeal.

I sent my appeal off in the second week of December after gathering the relevant testimonies from GPs, physios, surgeon etc and am still waiting on a response.

I realise Christmas and New Year is a busy time of the year for everyone so I wasn't expecting any immediate response but would like a general idea, if possible, of when one may come.

Also, I realise the whole appeal process is on 'the off chance' of the AOSB Medical Centre reconsidering my case and that they likely have many similar candidates without the knee operation, but I don't want to look back and 'wish' I'd appealed. If I receive another letter stating that they still consider me unsuitable then, fine, I will reassess my career aims.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

In my experience it took them about two weeks or so from receipt of my appeal email. They are amenable to them too; I won mine and got around an L8.

Sent from my mobile as I am busy fighting crime

Sorry I'm not quite sure how to quote each and every reply in one post so I'll do it the newb way

@The Snail - Are many wannabe potential Officers unable to spell? If only they had a spelling test instead of insisting on lifetime medical documentation :(

@cpunk - I actually had heard that much of the MoD was getting extended leave so had an inkling that that may be causing a delay.

@mcflurry - Yeah, my surgeon - after reading the rejection letter - said I should be listed L2 rather than L8. I added that I'd be happy to do any extra assessments they might require to prove that my knee is fully stable, though I guess that could just be seen as arse-kissing and needy, we'll see! Congratulations on the appeal win, not sure if you've done Briefing/Main Board/Sandhurst yet but good luck with whichever stage you're at. Good luck with the crime fighting, too.

@ratty - Thanks. I'll try to let you know either way, could be a while yet though judging by these replies!

IRON, this one can spell. Can you help them please?

I did notice Sluggy, its scarey to think that some of these young uns could be making their Section Sgt brews in the near future when Subbies.

As many have rightfully stated AOSB has been on stand down and will be sifting through bags load of mail plus their normal stuff. Appeals are a funny one as it may just go to SMO but more than likely could be then passed on for further scrutiny by OCC Health or higher. You may them have to go on a Spec med appointment anywhere throughout the UK to consultants etc, etc etc. No one can give you an exact time line as depending what it is (PLEASE DON'T TELL ANYONE ON HERE WHAT IT IS THOUGH) and what the experts believe the requirements are. I have seen Med appeals take between 3 weeks to 3 years so each one dealt on their own merits which isn't helpful for Officer entry with the cut off at Sandhurst being 26. All i can say is wait out for news...I would advise though if its due to a previous injury then keep an exercise diary in the mean time so if they do say you require proof of your fitness regime then you have got it to back date rather start from a fresh.

I did notice Sluggy, its scarey to think that some of these young uns could be making their Section Sgt brews in the near future when Subbies.

As many have rightfully stated AOSB has been on stand down and will be sifting through bags load of mail plus their normal stuff. Appeals are a funny one as it may just go to SMO but more than likely could be then passed on for further scrutiny by OCC Health or higher. You may them have to go on a Spec med appointment anywhere throughout the UK to consultants etc, etc etc. No one can give you an exact time line as depending what it is (PLEASE DON'T TELL ANYONE ON HERE WHAT IT IS THOUGH) and what the experts believe the requirements are. I have seen Med appeals take between 3 weeks to 3 years so each one dealt on their own merits which isn't helpful for Officer entry with the cut off at Sandhurst being 26. All i can say is wait out for news...I would advise though if its due to a previous injury then keep an exercise diary in the mean time so if they do say you require proof of your fitness regime then you have got it to back date rather start from a fresh.

Thanks Iron. I have more than three years until I am 26 so, fingers crossed...

Another question though if you'd be so kind,
When I got the letter through they had attached an excerpt from a medical handbook (it had a reference but I don't have it handy right now) all to do with the procedure I had and the outcomes of it with regards recruitment... A certain part of it said that I'd need to have 3 months of activity 'similar to military training' before applying.

Should my appeal be successful, how would I go about doing 3 months of activity similar to what goes on in the army?

I have a somewhat incomplete exercise diary that has running, swimming, cycling etc in it, but that's hardly military training.

As DS says walking with weight, runs etc.......if you ask in your Recruiting office they should be able to print off an exercise diary from your TRHJ records with examples etc.

Thanks Iron. I have more than three years until I am 26 so, fingers crossed...

Another question though if you'd be so kind,
When I got the letter through they had attached an excerpt from a medical handbook (it had a reference but I don't have it handy right now) all to do with the procedure I had and the outcomes of it with regards recruitment... A certain part of it said that I'd need to have 3 months of activity 'similar to military training' before applying.

Should my appeal be successful, how would I go about doing 3 months of activity similar to what goes on in the army?

I have a somewhat incomplete exercise diary that has running, swimming, cycling etc in it, but that's hardly military training.

If you are a member of a mainstream gym (Virgin, Nuffield etc) you can sign up for personal fitness instruction - - Make sure the Instructor is qualified to give an assessment - then ask them to give you a fitness review. This will help because he/she will know what you are capable off - It's documented and may help.

Although this is a bit late, I'd like to say best of luck to you, UseTheFrags. I've recently sent off my appeal too, so I'll let you know when I receive a reply so that anyone else reading this thread will have an idea of how long medical appeals can take to be processed.