Rejected holidays

Hi all,

Is it common practice for lower ranks to have their holidays rejected on the basis that none of the senior ranks are on holiday at the same time. Several of my partners regiment have had their holiday requests rejected because none of the senior ranks will be on holiday at those times and they've been told they can only go away when they're away.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

You are not grown up enough to book your own time off. Block leave solves all problems.

Block leave - in case you are not sure what it is.

Basically the whole unit (sometimes the whole camp) is programmed in to go on leave at the same time. The idea being that this way the unit can plan the whole year in terms of when maximum manpower is available for exercises, equipment management, servicing, vehicle inspections, pre-deployment training, whatever.

It also counts as a cost saving measure sometimes as large amounts of heating and other ancillaries can be turned off for this period. There will be a rear party left behind for guard duty, emergencies or essential maintenance but not many.

There are alot of arguments against it, but whilst the needs of the soldier are important it is always secondary to maintaining the effectiveness of the unit.

If you can come up with a decent reason as to why you don't want leave during this period then you can sometimes work around it - so for example a Jewish friend of mine really couldn't be bothered taking leave over Christmas one year. No worries as she was put on guard duty. Occasionally you can find a reason to take leave outside block leave but expect the management to occasionally have a sulk and and bounce it back no matter how strong the argument and/or common sense the reason.

rasthaus

Clanker
12 months in advance is not unusual for my current establishment. Future leave dates up to and including Christmas 2017 have already been promulgated for our forward planning.

And how far in advance would they likely to be told about block leave?

Far enough to book a holiday without clashing unless he/she's been a naughty boy and annoyed someone.

DITA

MIA
An interesting argument re Block Leave, but having programmed leave in the FOE doesn't discount a SPs right to take their annual leave entitlement when they want it, does it? Less those 8 days granted for public holidays of course ;)

For example, I missed Easter because of an Exercise, so now I'm taking next week off (which coincides nicely with a certain Stone Roses concert I have tickets for). Not Block Leave, and coming at a time when my office is deploying on the start of what will be a 4 week period OOB.

Have I been told to cancel it? No. Am I working with grown ups? Obviously.

JSP 760 should give clear direction on any queries regarding leave that might help with when and where to take it.

A decent boss will ensure that wherever possible his guys will get their leave when they want it subject of course to balancing it with the needs of the service.

jim30

LE
How does block leave sit with the concept of Flexible Working that we're increasingly seeing championed as part of the 'offer'?

To me its one of those things that is a legacy and needs to stand down - we run gaps all the time for courses and the like - the world will not end if Pte Fucknuts is on holiday. Far more sensible to promulgate a couple of 'no leave' periods of absolutely essential work/training and then let individual areas (e.g Pn or Coy) manage their people like grown ups (in other words like pretty much everywhere else in the real world).

Block leave works reasonably well over Christmas but Summer block leave as Jim says is passed it's sell by date.

And how far in advance would they likely to be told about block leave?

Depends on the unit and its level of planning, also who they are answering to - for example if a unit is working as part of a 3 year cycle and know when it has to be at a certain level of training then it might be over 12 months in advance as others have mentioned. For others who are expected to be more dynamic in their taskings then it might be less than 6 months for the summer leave (Christmas is usually a given).

Remember as well that there are times when leave bans might be enacted for a period before or after major events - exercises, inspections, training events, etc. These can be put in place at short notice and can seriously mess your personal life up. Whilst a good boss can sometimes find a work around for his lads (which increases morale in the long term) it is sometimes alot easier to say no.

As Jim has mentioned flexible working should be enforced, however sometimes this cannot be possible - the service always comes first (even if in the long run it loses out due to people voting with their feet).

They haven't been told about any leave what so ever unfortunately. You mention about good bosses and good moral and I can tell you there is none of that in my partners regiment. They seem to forget that this isn't just messing with their lives but also their families. That may sound selfish and people will tell me its not about me but as someone who works full time, hasn't had any time off in months and hasn't seen their partner for more than 2 days in a row since February I think I have a right to be annoyed.

Block leave works reasonably well over Christmas but Summer block leave as Jim says is passed it's sell by date.

I was quite willing to not take any summer leave in my final year to save the entitlement towards the end of my service which would have seen me home at the start of December, apparently everyone had to take summer block leave and that was that. Luckily I managed to blag myself on a forklift course (and got paid to do it via the learning credits) so I only took two weeks instead of three, I was out of there on the 17th for good.

Sorry where was I? Yes the block leave over summer is a waste of time, you wonder how any other business manages to survive when it treats their staff like grown ups.

Depends on the unit and its level of planning, also who they are answering to - for example if a unit is working as part of a 3 year cycle and know when it has to be at a certain level of training then it might be over 12 months in advance as others have mentioned. For others who are expected to be more dynamic in their taskings then it might be less than 6 months for the summer leave (Christmas is usually a given).

Remember as well that there are times when leave bans might be enacted for a period before or after major events - exercises, inspections, training events, etc. These can be put in place at short notice and can seriously mess your personal life up. Whilst a good boss can sometimes find a work around for his lads (which increases morale in the long term) it is sometimes alot easier to say no.

As Jim has mentioned flexible working should be enforced, however sometimes this cannot be possible - the service always comes first (even if in the long run it loses out due to people voting with their feet).

Sometimes a lack of flexibility is caused due to sheer bone idleness on the higher ups part. I was warned of for a range beyond my termination date with threats of losing terminal leave etc etc.. within the space of half a day I lined up 3-4 bods from other units who told me they were free and happy to cover the range if needed. It is easier for some to just destroy morale, threaten people and spoil personal events rather than pull their heads out of their backsides for a moment and do some proper work on the problem.

They haven't been told about any leave what so ever unfortunately. You mention about good bosses and good moral and I can tell you there is none of that in my partners regiment. They seem to forget that this isn't just messing with their lives but also their families. That may sound selfish and people will tell me its not about me but as someone who works full time, hasn't had any time off in months and hasn't seen their partner for more than 2 days in a row since February I think I have a right to be annoyed.

Get married, join the wives club and then bitch at the CO's wife. Sorted.

Block leave - often used be thick, lazy cnuts to make their life as easy as possible and fcuk every else.

Block leave - often used be thick, lazy cnuts to make their life as easy as possible and fcuk every else.

You loved it didn't you.

only had to take it when on long courses, which it works well for.

Used correctly it's an effective management tool, but now our operational commitment is greatly reduced there's very little need for it.

Latest Threads