Rejected from regulars, can I join the TA?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by hull_lad, Apr 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My situation is that I applied to join The Parachute Regiment early this year, only to be permanantly rejected due to operations I have had on an ear. I was just wondering if there is slacker medical entry requirements for the TA (wanting to join 4PARA)?

2. No. TA personnel require the same standards as they also find themselves on operations just like the regulars. You're no use to the forces if you're undeployable.

3. All you can do is try some medics seem slacker than others ,but, as the above poster says if its a serious condition no chance .Was it turned down
    for paras or turned down for all military service?

4. You can always try with the Navy or the RAF. Try for the Royal Marines if you are interested in an infantry career. They don't come much better than them.

5. The medical standards are pretty much the same no matter what service/branch you join (there are some exceptions). However, if you have been graded P8 (unifit for service), that will apply across the board.

The TA/Reserves has exactly the same standards as their regular counterparts, so P8 regular = P8 TA/Reserves.

6. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

If you are permanently rejected, then sadly you have no chance of getting in the T.A. either.

I think someone should tell 70% of my Unit that, all of RHQ and most of the rest of the RLC TA.

7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Whilst there is supposed to be a common set of standards TA and regular recruitment is a medical lottery based on the current fetish of the medical officer. I know one guy who was failed at a medical for the Parachute Regiment on the grounds of a history of ear infections then within 3 months was accepted by the TA SAS who had full knowledge of his previous rejection.

8. no my mate got rejected from army due to a lazy eye but is now trainin to be a gunner, he pased it for raf so try it lad