rejected for fits

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by mizmog1970, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. my son has just been rejected by the army for having fits in the past. they stopped a year, he had all the tests at hospital twice over and was found to have no medical problems and was not put on medication, he is gutted at the desicion and wants to appeal, what are his chances of it working, please help:cry:
  2. Probably Nil to none, unexplained fits are not good for soldiering.
  3. Sadly, if there is any history of fitting or even mental health history, then admission to the forces is not allowed. A mate of mine joined and served for nigh on 8 years, he then had a fit, which was diagnosed as Epilepsy, instant downgrade then MD.

Whilst these things can be tolerated with 'normal life' sadly the dangers are far too high for serving personnel, driving a wagon with a troop in the rear, carrying a PWS, the dangers are insurmountable.

There is even a thread on here where a guy isn't allowed front line infantry because of a DD endorsement on his driving license.

They may appear to be crazy but ultimately there to safeguard others.

I would say appeal, no harm in trying. On the other hand, be prepared for an upholding.

All in my very humble opinion, stay around and someone more adept will answer.
  4. In many cases, the notes from the GP are the driving factor - if you think you have a case ask for a GP referral to a civilian Neurologist and see what they say. However, as already said, any kind of fit is not good for military service.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Feel for OP, my son is in the Engineers and had a fit whilst in Kenya last month, hes going to be discharged because of it although he has no history of fits, he was in hospital with an infantry guy who fitted out in afghan on ops. not good and as stated a possible danger to all around
  6. FWIW I have a Dutch nephew who suffered fits in his sleep (3 episodes in 2 years) between the age of 13 to 15. Nothing was ever found in tests and he appears to have grown out of them, he is 20 now, however it has ruled him out of military service in Holland, and his desire to be a pilot has been negated. While the doctors think it was related to his maturing, labelling them as juvenile or growing fits, they cannot guarantee 100% that they will never happen again.
  7. Exactly, as harsh as it may be, the measures put in place are to safeguard all involved and once a fit has occurred, what's to say it won't happen again under a stressful or loud/night time firefight. Flashing lights are a contributory factor in fitting.

Genuinely, I feel for your son and would encourage anyone to join, but the safety of others has to be paramount.
  8. Hell, barring pregnancy, I think I have a symptom in every heading. **** it, at least call up will be be out ruled!!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Interesting to see under 'Psychiatric Conditions' that Bi-Polar (Manic Depressive Psychosis) and Personality Disorder (Psychopaths) aren't mentioned.

I should be in with a shout if the balloon goes up.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I can understand his disappointment or perhaps frustration but not only are they considering his wellbeing, they're thinking about all the other Soldiers and Officers that will be serving with him.
  11. With HIM, he was asking about his son. The clue was in the second word of the message.
  12. Sorry, I guess tiredness is starting to show. My post has been edited to what it should be.
  13. Don't say sorry, just dont masterbate so much lol.
  14. Unfortunately, the fact that no cause was ever isolated for his fits means there is no guarantee they won't return, possibly at the worst imaginable time. :(
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.