Rejected as an should you join up as a squaddie instead?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by serve_to_lead2011, Apr 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As everyone on here knows, the only way into the Army (support roles/proffessionals aside) is to join up as either a squaddie or an officer. I'm interested in people who are/want to be officers: if you hadn't got that Cat 1/2 at Mainboard, would you/did you attempt to join the ranks...or done something else?

More generally, do people think that it displays the wrong attitude to say 'I'll only go in as an Officer'? It could be argued that the application process is all about saying how much you love the Army and want the military it a bit hypocritical to walk away from that? Being a squaddie is afterall the main other way to experience military life (though of course, the role is different from that of an officer.) On the other hand, is all of the above rubbish, is it natural that people will look at the pay and conditions and those a job that pays the best, and choose a path that is more lucrative/prestigous etc?

Very interested to get everyone's take on this...I'm not sure what to think one way or the other. Also, how common is it for people who join up as a squaddie to go through the ranks and commission? I mean, I know it's possible *in theory* but how much does it actually happen? Is it a realistic route through for say a 22 year old graduate to go?

Edit: Not to imply that people who do fail Officer selection would necessarily get in as a squaddie.
  2. If you weren't good enough to be a Rupert, what makes you think you'll get in as a Tom?
  3. Sorry, should have made it clear that I don't think that this is a foregone conclusion in anyway, will edit #1 to make this clear.
  4. Stop intellectualising. You know in your bones if you want to do it. If not stop fretting and do something else. I am sure the nation and services will go on without you.
  5. You'll find a lot of lads with degrees are soldiers. Many gain their degree whilst serving, but some do join (as the ACIO term it) ''Graduate Soldiers''.

You'll find it is more common in the RE or Int Corps to have graduates in the ORs because of the skills required of some of the roles.

However, it should be noted that by just having a degree is does not mean you're automatically Officer material; there's plenty of well educated blokes that couldn't lead a kettle to boil let alone soldiers. I'm, as it so happens, a 22 year old graduate (Law, History and Politics) and joining as a soldier. It is not uncommon for soldiers to commission from the ranks providing you can display the right skills, attitudes and values - you will still have to do pre-AOSB and AOSB though. If you haven't got the right stuff for Sandhurst just yet then some time as a private/trooper/sapper might give you that.

Should I be offered the chance to attempt AOSB during my career then I'll take it, the attraction of better pay etc would be stupid to turn down. Be prepared to argue your case for choosing soldier entry well with your recruiter - I had a very long chat during my interview 2 and 3 about my choice.
  6. I have got a degree and did AOSB briefing and I hated it, not so much because of the other people, bit I felt like I couldnt be myself. I got a Cat 2/12. Dont feel just because you have a degree you should go officer. I am now waiting for my phase one as a CMT in the RAMC, choosing the soldier route was the best thing I ever did.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. You can judge that from the application process? In that case I just applied for a job as a Burger Technician at McDonalds. I would recommend it to anyone its the best thing I ever did.
  8. Hey, don't knock it - half these "graduates" will be doing that by the end of the year!
  9. I think you should join as a soldier, but make it quite clear to everyone in training that you're only there under protest because you're better than them.
    • Like Like x 8
  10. Spent 3 years as a private soldier before hand in the TA which no doubt swayed my decision slightly, but yes still the best choice I think I have made career wise so far.
  11. Well thank you for the benefit of your experience.
  12. My thought process would go like this, what! not toffie nosed enough to be an officer, lets face how hard can it be?, we've all seen them get the convoy lost and I once saw one have major trouble trying to fold a sleeping bag, back to my answer, if I was rejected, I would try to find something interesting in civy street, and at the same time join the TA as a soldier, join an HQ unit if possible, plenty of officers their to watch and to see how things are done which would give one some insight.
    Then I would try again at a later date, if all else fails buy a labrador and take elocution lessons and change your name to charles or something along them lines.
  13. No. Why would it be? Some people want to be leaders of men from the start. Nothing wrong with that.

Of course it is natural. If you have the qualifications then why wouldn't you want the best for yourself? Obviously some are quite happy to be in the ranks even with the necessary quals for officer selection. Nothing wrong with that either.

It isn't too common. I've only known around 4 blokes go this route in 24 years. I know a few who also failed the RCB as well.

If should imagine those failing officer selection would only be refused from serving as a regular soldier on grounds that would omit anyone serving such as medical reasons. Let's face it, even people that can't read or write and have very little in the way of brains can serve these days. Stacker 1 is serving!
  14. Are you sure?

You'll find it common in the Royal Signals and CAMus... Both of which have training courses set up to deliver BSc (Hons) to selected personnel in their ranks. Niether the Int Corps or RE do that.