Reinstate commission

A friend resigned from the ACF in May 2014 as a 2 Lt. He had held the commission for over a year but left due to family reasons.

He now has time and wants to return. Can anyone confirm or advise on whether he can return as a 2 Lt with various trg to bring his currency up to speed, or would he have to complete the commissioning process again.

Was he convicted or cautioned? The rehabilitation periods have changed recently, and obviously if he made it onto the register it's highly unlikely he'll be welcomed back.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

No he left for personal reasons to set up home etc. Never left under a cloud. He's expressed an interest in returning and I wanted to advise him re rank where he'd stand.

No he left for personal reasons to set up home etc. Never left under a cloud. He's expressed an interest in returning and I wanted to advise him re rank where he'd stand.
They're desperate for personnel, so he should be able to buy his commission back at low cost.

dlrg

LE
Why doesn't he just go in and ask. Not much of an 'Officer' if he feels to need to 'phone-a-friend'. Initiative man, initiative.

As above first port of call should be his unit CO and not some random internet advice.

How long ago did he leave?

There are new selection procedures in place now and some actual work is required to get a commission. It now entails short courses at Sandhurst and study periods.

Officer selection at Westbury is still an 89% pass rate last time I looked though!

ACAB

LE
Your mate didn't complete the requisite 2 year period and therefore has not been fully gazetted. I would imagine he would have to start from scratch.

Your mate didn't complete the requisite 2 year period and therefore has not been fully gazetted. I would imagine he would have to start from scratch.
How sad, never mind. He should ignore my earlier post aabout being able to get a cheap deal on buying back his commission, not the part about them being desperate!

Thanks for your reasoned response. To add a bit more information I have asked him to return. I want to be able to provide him with all the information I can. The ACF manual and many publications are not always clear or are outdated. I merely sought to pick potential experts brains and use their experience to make the return more attractive for him, not expecting nippy comments to accompany a reasonable question!

dlrg

LE
dode66. You may not like my "nippy comment". However, this is not the Samaritans nor is it Sandhurst. Reasoned response has been given. If 'your friend' is not capable of investigating such a matter on his own, the question is begged: is he worthy of holding a commission?

Why doesn't he just go in and ask. Not much of an 'Officer' if he feels to need to 'phone-a-friend'. Initiative man, initiative.

Major Fraud did.

You can't be commissioned in the ACF if:
  • You don't 'look the part'
  • shorter than 5' 6" males or 5' 2" Females
  • Are an ex-ranker
  • Have never served in HM Forces, regular or reserve
  • Over 40
  • Don't have a degree/2 A levels/5 O Levels
  • Currently employed as a police or prison officer
How many of the above are true?

If you guessed 'none of the above' you are correct

All of the above have been told to me or ACF colleagues by ignorant fools. Some of them, being ACF Majors and Colonels, ought to know better

Latest Threads