reinstalling windows on a laptop

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by bernoulli, Oct 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an old Compaq Presario Laptop, and I have just replaced a duff hard drive, up grading from 20 Gb to 40 Gb. I cannot, however, get Windows XP to re-install. The recovery disk doesn't work, I just get a message up saying that the recovery disk is faulty, and the XP disks will not start to install, I get a message up saying "operating system not found".

The dickwads at Compaq refuse to help, saying that it is software issues... :(

Anyone got any ideas?
  2. Go into your bios, disable the floppy disk and hard disk from your booting options. This will leave only your CD drive to boot from, be sure to move your CD drive to the top of the bootable list just for good measure.
    Restart your PC with your XP disk in, install your OS.

When your done, remember to set your floppy disk and hard drive back to your bootable options in your bios with your hard disk at the top of the list.
  3. If you have access to another system, the best method I have found is to use a boot floppy disk....

If your laptop doesn't have a floppy, some systems will support doing this from a USB stick (although this will require a modification of the BIOS settings)

On your "good" system, open Windows Explorer, navigate to My Computer.
    Right-Click on the floppy drive, choose "Format"
    When the window pops up, make sure you select the option to copy System files onto drive
    Once the format is complete, put floppy into drive in laptop and switch on...

Once the system has booted, it will ask if you wish to start with CD ROM support - you do!
    You should then be able to access the windows "setup.exe" file direct from the CD, which should get you nicely around the problem ;)

If this doesn't work, or if you cannot boot from a floppy OR CD, pm me and I'll give further advice via other means....

Edited to add: It is entirely possible that Compaq have added coding to their CD so that it will only work with their original HDD. Its more common to add this sort of "security" to a chip in the pc, but I have seen it done by using a hidden partition on the original hard disk. If this is the case, you may require a new Win XP disc from which to install - again, pm me ;);)