Reid: Ive no ambition to be PM

Home Secretary John Reid has said he has "no personal ambition to attain any other high office" when asked if he wanted to succeed Tony Blair.
Mr Reid, who is tipped by some to be a Blairite rival to Gordon Brown, told a police conference that he could "take it or leave it" when it came to jobs.

He said his "simple view" was that you should "enjoy what you are doing... rather than be burned up by ambition".

"As my mother used to say if it's for you it will not go by you."

It was because of this attitude that he had not said anything over the past two weeks amid the Labour leadership flurry leading up to, and following, Tony Blair's announcement that he would stand down as PM by September next year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5360184.stm

Right, so he's a definite then.

John Reid said:
Fair one. Seriously though, he's got to be the No1 contender to Gordon Brown. Without a doubt.

Yep, that's his candidature announced if Yes, Minister is to be believed. If he says that he's reaching an age when he wants to spend more time with his wife, etc, etc, start placing bets on him running against Broon.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
PartTimePongo said:
Home Secretary John Reid has said he has "no personal ambition to attain any other high office" when asked if he wanted to succeed Tony Blair.
Mr Reid, who is tipped by some to be a Blairite rival to Gordon Brown, told a police conference that he could "take it or leave it" when it came to jobs.

He said his "simple view" was that you should "enjoy what you are doing... rather than be burned up by ambition".

It was because of this attitude that he had not said anything over the past two weeks amid the Labour leadership flurry leading up to, and following, Tony Blair's announcement that he would stand down as PM by September next year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5360184.stm

I think they have been reading the scripts for 'Yes, Minister' leading up to 'Yes, Prime Minister' :(

Considering how many portfolios hes had, hes probably the most qualified.

But even im fed up of the number of Jocks in the Cabinet, even though im one myself :p

The man was once a Communist, now he's a senior member of a reactionary, right wing government engaged in privatising the NHS by stealth.

So given that, we can relax and assume he's telling the truth...

He's a little shite, he comes out with all the rubbish to try and make himself look as good as possible in the eyes of the public. Remember the "We are facing the biggest threat to our countries security since 9/11" tosh the very day before the threat to the Airlines, you can't tell me that was not a loaded statement.
Plus the "Afghanistan without a shot", the fact that "smoking is the only pleasure that poor people have" he is a male chicken have no doubt.

frenchperson said:
The man was once a Communist, now he's a senior member of a reactionary, right wing government engaged in privatising the NHS by stealth.
Well he seems to p!ss Frenchy off, so that's a positive sign for him. :)

PartTimePongo said:
If you were/are in any doubt....

Despite the calls for unity, John Reid, the Home Secretary, stokes the infighting again today by refusing to rule himself out of the forthcoming leadership contest.

Interviewed in The Spectator, Mr Reid makes clear that he is keeping his options open and may stand if Mr Brown's campaign to succeed Mr Blair falters. "I don't think anybody at this stage has to rule themselves out. . . I think that people will find, looking at the lessons of the last few weeks, that unity will be at a premium and that people want to work together more closely.

"I have said all along that I will not make any statement until Tony Blair has announced he's going or when he's going."
Quote from here: The Telegraph

How can you support (vote for) someone that converses as if all around are deaf, dumb, blind and ignorant half-wits?

Litotes said:
...and a squadron of flying pigs has just flown over....

Litotes
They were followed by a squadron of Eurofighters (no, really!! they do exist!!!). In other news today the army has praised the new BOWMAN communications system and the US is to release software codes for the JSF which is now due into service 6 months before the original contract date.

Wasn't Reid an IRA sympathiser? I don't particularly like the man, probably less so than Brown - but do see him running as a contender. Anything to keep fcuking Charles Clarke out of the running (Charles Clarke, running??!!! He daren't show his face in his constituency let alone run for office... fat lazy lying cnut dragging naarwich down with him)