Rehabilitating criminals - here's one success story at least

He did. His serious crime was getting his wife to take three points for him many years previously. He is not a major player in the criminal underworld! I demonstrated things I've done which could be deemed to be a lot worst, when I was just a kid playing around.
For months he lied to the public about his innocence of this crime, he spent a good deal of taxpayers cash on trying to get the case quashed prior to the trial, only on the first day of his actual trial, did he see fit to plead guilty to the offence of perverting the course of justice. He may not, in your view, be "a major player" but he displayed all the traits that I would not wish to see in any employee working for me. Untrustworthy individual, a lying piece of scum, end of.

He did. His serious crime was getting his wife to take three points for him many years previously. He is not a major player in the criminal underworld! I demonstrated things I've done which could be deemed to be a lot worst, when I was just a kid playing around.
And since he was the one who committed the "crime", getting someone else to cop for it is a much more serious matter, never mind the matter of him being a little shit that didn't have the guts to face up to what he did.

And you weren't a "kid playing around", you were, and probably still are, a retarded delinquent who still deserves to have the shit kicked out of him.

And since he was the one who committed the "crime", getting someone else to cop for it is a much more serious matter, never mind the matter of him being a little shit that didn't have the guts to face up to what he did.

And you weren't a "kid playing around", you were, and probably still are, a retarded delinquent who still deserves to have the shit kicked out of him.
So you have never lied to get yourself out of the shit. When your Mrs asks you where you have been you have told the complete truth? If you have your a nutter. I'd lie to get myself out of the shit - I'm not ashamed of that.

Call me what you want mate. It was us having a laugh and being a bit naughty. We were lads, we went out played football and got up to mischief. You're an impressively tough bloke on the internet, I'm bricking it.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Genuine question. And only asking as you seemed clued up on this.

But how to they make it work? I'm just imagining now if my former employer told me I needed to get permission to take a new job for two years I'd categorically give them the **** off tablet. Is it a criminal offence if he does that? Does he lose his pension?

Only asking, as it seems unworkable to me. All it would take is to go and work abroad.
The way the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments should work is it should vet any ex-ministers potential jobs for conflict of interest. The idea being that as Huhne presumably had a detailed knowledge of the governments thinking on green energy policy, he should not be able to work in a job directly concerned with his responsibilities in government for two years - by which time his knowledge should be dated.

Huhne resigned on 5 February 2013 so he's way inside the 2 year period - and his knowledge of government thinking is still pretty current. Huhne could have taken any job outside of the energy sector within the two year grace period as he is presumed not to have inside knowledge from his time in government.

The Advisory Committee on Business Appointments' website is here: Advisory Committee on Business Appointments | Home It clearly says:

The Advisory Committee acts independently to advise the Prime Minister, Foreign Secretary and former Ministers on applications made to it under the Business Appointment Rules, about appointments former Ministers, senior civil servants and other Crown servants wish to take up on leaving government....it is ... important that in the taking up of an appointment, there is no cause for suspicion of impropriety.
So if the company Huhne has gone to suddenly does well in getting government contracts or in influencing government policy, the 'independent' committee will have failed in its job.

Wordsmith

The way the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments should work is it should vet any ex-ministers potential jobs for conflict of interest. The idea being that as Huhne presumably had a detailed knowledge of the governments thinking on green energy policy, he should not be able to work in a job directly concerned with his responsibilities in government for two years - by which time his knowledge should be dated. Edited for brevity
What sanction would this committee have against a former MP (he resigned his seat), former Minister, and proven criminal who has still not supposedly served his time (although free to roam the streets).

The commitee is toothless as there is no possible sanction for this activity.

I am comforted by the knowledge that no matter how much you **** up, no matter how many lies you tell and how badly you conduct yourself there will always be some god awful **** in the UK to make excuses for you!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
What sanction would this committee have against a former MP (he resigned his seat), former Minister, and proven criminal who has still not supposedly served his time (although free to roam the streets).

The commitee is toothless as there is no possible sanction for this activity.
True - but Huhne would look even more duplicitous that he did over the speeding point affair if he took the job after the committee advised against it. I suspect the company might revoke the appointment as well - taking on a former cabinet minister against the advice of the committee would hand a PR gift to their competitors. The committee's advice to Huhne is here;

Advisory Committee on Business Appointments | Home

The Committee advised Mr Huhne that, as he had left office 16 months earlier and was no longer subject to the usual three month waiting period, it saw no reason why he should not take up this appointment forthwith, subject to the conditions that:

- he should not draw on any privileged information available to him as a Minister; and

- for two years from his last day in ministerial office, he should not become personally involved in lobbying the UK Government on behalf of his new employer or its clients.
Which is a bit of a farce because he clearly knows privileged information - which is why they commented on it. And it doesn't forbid him from advising the company how to lobby - just tell him not to get personally involved.

The phrase 'weasel words' comes to mind for some reason...

Wordsmith

True - but Huhne would look even more duplicitous that he did over the speeding point affair if he took the job after the committee advised against it. I suspect the company might revoke the appointment as well - taking on a former cabinet minister against the advice of the committee would hand a PR gift to their competitors. The committee's advice to Huhne is here;

Advisory Committee on Business Appointments | Home

Which is a bit of a farce because he clearly knows privileged information - which is why they commented on it. And it doesn't forbid him from advising the company how to lobby - just tell him not to get personally involved.

The phrase 'weasel words' comes to mind for some reason...

Wordsmith
If the government is to come out of this with any credibility, they should blacklist the company he now advises, and ensure that they or their associates are excluded from any lobbying process. Crime should not be seen to pay.

It's about time we started to think like our competitors.....the septics were quick enough to rehabilitate Werner von Braun.

If he is the most competent scallywag to hold the position of Energy Minister then I don't care if he eats babies raw.....I am wanting the power generation competence his CV says he has the experience to promise me and to deliver

If his contacts will grease the wheels of doing the deals we need, of breaking ground and starting projects rather than ping ponging between government and energy companies, then he is the man we need.

It's about time we started to think like our competitors.....the septics were quick enough to rehabilitate Werner von Braun.

If he is the most competent scallywag to hold the position of Energy Minister then I don't care if he eats babies raw.....I am wanting the power generation competence his CV says he has the experience to promise me and to deliver

If his contacts will grease the wheels of doing the deals we need, of breaking ground and starting projects rather than ping ponging between government and energy companies, then he is the man we need.
If only he was the one with all the answers we need, but as a minister he has interfered in the replacement to our nuclear power stations causing delays and prevarication to the point that this country will suffer an energy shortage before they are able to come on stream. He is has also been instrumental in the great windfarm build, an energy source so sure that the Grid Operators are currently buying up all the spare generating capacity from diesel generator operators, not a green energy solution! He may have the contacts through the parliamentary estate, but that is only influence, not knowledge. He should not be seen to benefit from knowledge gained while a minister.

We do not need Huhne or his "expertise".

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

But the problem is that he doesn't have that expertise - he wouldn't recognise a pre-FEED, FEED or EPC award if he fell over one. He's a green power zealot who presided over a fractured UK energy policy which did not stack up economically, technically or in terms of the required energy outputs. The only value he represents to his new employer is his contact book and access to decision-makers, which is something that he should not be in a position to deliver for at least another 18 months, or longer if I had my way.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
If the government is to come out of this with any credibility, they should blacklist the company he now advises, and ensure that they or their associates are excluded from any lobbying process. Crime should not be seen to pay.
Cameron - as so many before him - went in number 10 promising to clear up politics. As ever his deeds fell well short of his words. It never seems to occur to prime ministers that if they applied a rigorous standard of conduct to ministers and required early transgressors to resign, other ministers would clean up their act.

If you have spent years climbing to the top of the greasy pole of politics, and you know those years can come to naught because of a minor act of dishonesty, you will be far less inclined to risk it. Ministers would by far more likely to adhere to a high standard of conduct if they know that code of conduct would be strictly enforced.

And if Cameron had strictly enforced the Code of Ministerial Conduct he would have had a few disgrunteld ex-ministers on the back benches. But there would be far fewer scandals over the life of the parliament as the remainder of his cabinet learned that less than an exemplary standard of conduct could be career limiting.

Wordsmith

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Cameron - as so many before him - went in number 10 promising to clear up politics. As ever his deeds fell well short of his words. It never seems to occur to prime ministers that if they applied a rigorous standard of conduct to ministers and required early transgressors to resign, other ministers would clean up their act.

If you have spent years climbing to the top of the greasy pole of politics, and you know those years can come to naught because of a minor act of dishonesty, you will be far less inclined to risk it. Ministers would by far more likely to adhere to a high standard of conduct if they know that code of conduct would be strictly enforced.

And if Cameron had strictly enforced the Code of Ministerial Conduct he would have had a few disgrunteld ex-ministers on the back benches. But there would be far fewer scandals over the life of the parliament as the remainder of his cabinet learned that less than an exemplary standard of conduct could be career limiting.

Wordsmith
Given the role his Foreign Secretary played in helping to stitch up the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner, there was never any danger of DC attempting to clean up anything. While I do like the idea of our leaders doing selfless stuff like refusing pay increases, the gesture palls somewhat when you realise they've got millions in the bank and a high earning spouse. Any system which requires MPs to police themselves and be unselfish is doomed to failure - with a couple of honourable exceptions who somehow slipped through the net, no party recruits that type any more, if only because such people are far harder to control.