"Regulations" concerning fireplaces in rented properties.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by EX_STAB, Jun 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Just been looking at a house to rent, Edwardian townhouse in largely original condition. When asked which of the fireplaces were in working order was told that they all were but only the downstairs ones could be used because it was "against regulations" to use the upstairs ones. No doubt the landlord sincerely believed this and I've heard it before but have to wonder "what regulations"?
     
  2. Have a look at this;
    Gas safety - landlords and letting agents
    If you were to use them, I would have CO3 detectors put into each of the rooms, just in case. I would also check your tenancy agreement, because if you were to use them it might invalidate your agreement, and thus your home insurance. Never mind the money, you don't want someone dieing of gas asphixiation

    Edited twice cos I'm monging it today, been in the sun too long
     
  3. maybe the OP meant they were original fireplaces as in the ones you burn wood or coal in..... not everyone uses gas fires

    just a thought, not that I am in a position to help the OP
     
  4. I've never heard of any regulations to do with fireplaces, nor been warned of such by letting agents.

    I usually make it a tenancy agreement condition that, if the tenant wishes to use a fireplace (a) they are responsible for getting the chimney swept and checked (b) adequate fireguards are used (c) any cleaning/redecorating necessitated by use of the fireplace is likely to be above and beyond that of a normal tenancy.
     
  5. for clarification we are talking about ordinary open fireplaces for burning wood Or coal.
     
  6. They probably have not been used to burn coal or wood for more than fifty years. They probably have dead birds in the chimneys.
     
  7. We couldn't use ours other than for gas fires and even then flue liners had to be installed. A safety test was done and fumes/smoke were found to be escaping into the attic because the pointing was shot which prevented the burning of logs/coal.
     
  8. I had it written into the contract that they couldn't be used.

    As PapaGolf commented the need for a CO is a must. We have just had our open fire reinstated in our present gaff and were advised that we had to have a detector put in the room.
     
  9. A number of insurance underwriters stipulate in their policies that chimneys and flues should be adequately maintained. Failure to do so could render the insurance policy invalid in the event of a chimney fire.
     
  10. I'm gas rather than solid fuel, but I wouldn't dream of using an open fire.... they are unbelievably inefficient, virtually all the heat goes straight up the chimney, not a problem in the days of cheap fuel, but now?

    As far as using the bedroom fires, again, I'm gas rather than solid fuel, but using a potential source of carbon monoxide in sleeping rooms is a hazard, as well as a hazard from sparks whilst asleep.

    The best thing to do with them is stuff fibreglass insulation just up them to cut down the heat loss and put a display of dried flowers in them.
     
  11. Fuel for a fire can be free, gas is increasing almost 20% each year.
    My gas fire is coming out, keep going to do it but not had the time.
     
  12. If you live in a rural area and have no Mains Gas supply but you have access to windfall logs, then wood can be free, all you pay is your time in collecting the wood.
     
  13. Presumably the house is quite old!

    I believe it will be due to the amount of non-combustible hearth and surround that is around an open fireplace. If you bought the house and used it yourself there would probably be little to no problem using these fireplaces (providing the chimney is checked and cleaned), however there are now building regulations concerning the amount of hearth, and the surrounds of the fire, mainly concerned with stopping burning embers/coals/hot ash falling onto combustible material.

    I believe that as the house is being let these regulations have been enforced. In Victorian times they simply got on and used the fireplace, as there was no other method of heating rooms within a house.
     
  14. surely you mean COMBUSTable
    and NOT Non -combustible in your first sentence.