Regular vrs TA tuition of TA soldiers

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Nov 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been instructing on Phase 3 training, normally in my Bde this is done by a mix of regular and TA soldiers (mainly regs - TA getting the less trendy subjects such as JMH).

This time the regular running the course, used only TA instructors and even replaced himself with the TA equivalent. Reports from the students says its the most professional instruction they have recieved during their time in the TA. Has anyone else seen this?

This isn't an anti TA thread, the course was designed and organised by several regulars but handed over to TA when they arrived. I suspect the TA understand how to teach the TA better, they also will gain more benefit from teaching the soldiers well and correctly as they aren't going back to a different part of the army in a year or so.

As a TA instructor I haven't felt so good about a training course or leading a group of soldiers like this for several years (when I was in the infantry). Seeing soldiers improve as the course progressed gave me a major ego boost........

Is the the TA coming back to life?
  2. A great feeling isn't it. Is the TA coming back to life, well its far too early to tell but if the soldiers come back as charged up as you then its going in the right direction.
  4. Yes, and to reinforce Kurgens point I just like to add 'kipperlegs' and, just to be safe, 'flannelsplot'.

5. Have I missed something (am running on low bandwidth at the mo)
  6. Just call me Penis Fingers,!
    Managed to miss my bit from the bottom.
    Moment seems to have passed now anyway
  7. On a serious note if I may, using TA Instructors can be extremely beneficial. Whilst I agree that in the past it was Regulars that could offer up to date trade skills which the average TA bod just couldn't match, its fair to say that these days this is no longer the case. TA soldiers back from Ops can teach from their experiences with the added benefit of knowing what makes a TA soldier "tick".

Serious head off now, drinking trousers on, normal service will be resumed shortly.
  8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Excuse my ignorance/stupidity but what's Phase 3 Training?
  9. I fink he means trade training
  10. My believe is that the TA should train the TA, why send soldiers on MOI cses only to get a tick in the box and not actualy be allowed to use their new skills. After all, it is suposed to be the one Army concept and therfore I presume that the TA instructor could well be expected (on occasions) to train the regular! I also think that it is dependant on the views of your CO, and what he thinks is best practice for his regt. I am in favour of the regular in the enableing and advice role, and only getting involved if he feels the instruction is going down the tube. My experience of seeing the TA perform as instructors is that the majority are enthusiastic and knowlageable and have pride in their personal abilities. Over the past 2-3 years it seems that this reliance on them as instructors has deminished. Have the CO's of TA units been briefed from higher echelons not to rely on the TA NCO's and concentrate on the PSI for the delivery of instruction...who knows!
  11. Its the future.

As the CofC dwindles due to a focus on quick fix mobilisation for operations as against a 'lifetime' contribution, this will be commonplace.
  12. If I remember this correctly from my nice long trip to Wainwright where I met some rather nice young ladies from the Canadian Militia. The Militia, similar to us, have longer training courses, I think 6 weeks, and most of their training is run by themselves without any regular staff input during the course. As I understood it, the courses were set up and overseen by the regulars, but the practical operation was left to the Militia, with Militia instructors taking upwards of 6 months service to conduct a number of courses.
  13. I agree with that 100%, its how it should be. All elements (Maj, WO2->Sig) got an amazing amount of experience out of this course. Yes it had its flaws (but at least the instructor knew the subject matter this time unlike a disinterested regular - who 'taught' me on my course).

Getting the TA to teach and the regular to advise them elevates both of their positions (although I would have welcomed a warning about this massive increase in workload :D :D :D )
  14. Im not TA but I hope you don’t mind me joining in.

I was previously a Training Officer and as part of our commitment we ran certain Cadre's and Pre training for our aligned TA unit. I felt that in using organic resources (i.e. TA instructors) a sense of self confidence was developed in each subunit and organisation. Furthermore JNCO’s and SNCO's get a sense of self esteem, and esteem from their peers and subordinates as a result of presenting subjects which were interesting, dynamic and relevant.

I would ask each instructor for an extra commitment (almost a train the trainer briefing), which all were more than happy to do, not to be derogatory but to ensure that all were singing off the same sheet, and that course objectives were achieved.

I also think that as the general body of the TA gains more experience of fast moving (practical) operations they themselves have a great deal to offer and as such it is becoming slightly derogatory for a regular training officer to feel the need to specify, prescribe and deliver training for an organisation which has a wealth of organic experience.
  15. Wherever possible, the TA should be used to train the TA.

However, some instructor's courses are very difficult for a TA soldier to do as they are more than 2 weeks long. An example is the Skill At Arms course which I understand to be 6 weeks.

Fine for some self-employed or unemployed soldiers, but that's not the bulk of the TA as I know it.

Courses need to be either weekends, 2 weeks or a mixture. Otherwise the instructional ability is concentrated in a very few dedicated folk. Fine, until you need to send one to the RTC for a 2 year spell, leaving you with no instructors.

Anything over 2 weeks and most of us have to go to HR for special permission, which is not always the way to foster good employer/employee relations.

A case can be made for mobilisation, but it's very difficult to make a similar case for a trade course.