Regular to Reserve Seniority Date

Hi Troops,

I left the Regulars last year and joined the Reserves. I've been a Cpl since Dec 2014.

Recently had a chat with my RCMO about if I sat last years SNCO board since it happened right on the cusp of me transferring.

He informed me that my seniority/substantive Cpl date reset to the date I joined the Reserves, all but discounting the previous 4 years as a screw and meaning I won't sit a SNCO board until I've been in 'rank' in the Reserves for 2 years.

This has also meant I'm currently being paid as a brand new screw instead of a maxed out one.

Anyone got any experience of this, if this is gen its a pretty shit rule that I can't see has any benefit to the soldier or the Army!

Being pointed in the direction a JSP/DIN would be appreciated!

Cheers in advance.

2015DIN01-157 has the details for Regular to Reserve transfer. You keep seniority, same seniority date if no break in service.

You'll need at least one SJAR from Reserve service to run to an Army Reserve promotion board, but after that your Regular SJARs/seniority will count, see ABN 128/16.

If you want to explore the pay side it is in JSP 754 but again should reflect Regular service. See paragraphs 03.0308 and 03.0310.

You've been seen off. What capbadge?

Last edited:
2015DIN01-157 has the details for Regular to Reserve transfer. You keep seniority, same seniority date if no break in service.

You'll need at least one SJAR from Reserve service to run to an Army Reserve promotion board, but after that your Regular SJARs/seniority will count, see ABN 128/16.

If you want to explore the pay side it is in JSP 754 but again should reflect Regular service. See paragraphs 03.0308 and 03.0310.

You've been seen off. What capbadge?
Thanks Mangler,

I left in the window between receiving my SJAR and the board sitting, my bad luck I guess.

I think it's been resolved now, I think there was some confusion as to the definition of 'seniority' and 'substansive in rank'. I had another conversation and it was more promising! Regarding my pay it's been raised with APC so we'll see what's going on there.

I will keep capbadge knowledge hidden, a lot of eyes on here! :)

Thanks, will update!

APC won't sort your pay, that's a DBS function. It does need your seniority (and IBD) to be correctly recorded in JPA but for an Army Reserve soldier that's within the remit of your RCMO and unit clerks (advised by APC as necessary).

I understand discretion on capbadge, but it would have been useful if I'd needed to know which branch at APC is involved as the level of service varies somewhat.

I'll send you a couple of other points by PM.