Regular recruit selection - sticky for all recruit application and assessment enquiries 2019

Hello,
I have my Assessment on the 3rd April at the Lichfield Barracks. I was hoping to get a few questions answered. Firstly the medical; what can I expect from the Lung Capacity Test? as I have done an LC test for my work before and only slightly passed. If failed would I be deferred or simply barred from entry? Next I'd like to ask about the formal interview at the end; what can I expect from this? Also if all goes well, how long usually is the wait from a passed assessment to training? (I'm going for PARAs so I understand I'll have to attend PRAC which I've been told would take place about 2 weeks after my initial assessment)

If anyone here has attended PRAC, how does the assessment play out?
Thanks.
1.5m(2.4km) run = 8:55
1. Lung capacity test is conducted in the spirometry section. You blow 3 times as powerful and as prolonged as you can through a tube which is measured via the software they use and is compared to what an average human of your gender/age/weight should be blowing.

You wait around for 5-10 minutes then get put onto a bike, your nose gets pegged and you have a diving respirator on. You cycle for a few minutes at an easy resistance while maintaining 60-65 rpm. Then the diving gas is switched on and the resistance is increased. (Bear in mind this is designed to wear you out, and is not a measure of how strong your quads are so you can ask them to turn down the resistance if necessary.)
You cycle for 10minutes at a constant rate.

Immediately after you blow into the tube again another 3 times, wait 10 minutes and blow another 3 times.

The blows on ALL attempts have to be within a 10% threshold of your original blows.

If you don't pass this, you will be deferred not barred - timings can vary depending on results.

2. Interview. You could be waiting a while for this as there are a lot of candidates to go through... We watched Saving Private Ryan in the time it took for our turn.

Anyway, the interview is simple.

They will go over your fitness test results, aptitude test results and the technical selection test results and will advise on what roles are applicable.

They ask you straight forward questions. Make sure you know the following:
  • A reason why you want to join the army;
  • What regiment you want to join/hope of joining;
  • Your chosen regiment's current deployments;
  • Knowledge of your phase 1 and phase 2 training;
  • Values and standards of the army (C-DRILS etc)
If you passed, you will receive a certificate and a goody bag.

3. I don't have an awful lot of knowledge regarding this as I have only just been to my selection weekend end of Feb and my training dates are in November for phase 1. Hopefully someone else can help.

Had my brief this morning and popped forms into gp with my mum. As expected my drs were very unhelpful saying they certainly wouldn’t be doing the forms in the 48 hours as requested by army and they wouldn’t release anything until the fee was paid. Very frustrating!

Make sure you keep on at your doctors. My son has applied for AFC Harrogate and the army paid the £65 fee on the 15th Feb but our doctors were adamant they hadnt recieved the funds. On Friday (after quoting a ref no to the receptionist) they eventually agreed and the report will be sorted next week - hopefully.

Make sure you keep on at your doctors. My son has applied for AFC Harrogate and the army paid the £65 fee on the 15th Feb but our doctors were adamant they hadnt recieved the funds. On Friday (after quoting a ref no to the receptionist) they eventually agreed and the report will be sorted next week - hopefully.
Thanks. Will start chasing from tomorrow.

Anyone going next week 20th? travel day on the 19th. I cant wait as I was deferred P8 over two years ago for a heart issue and needed a key hole op, so after over 2 and a half years, numerous letters and medical acceptance from the army im P2 and back. Trained my arrse off and praying for that green card from the medic

2. Interview. You could be waiting a while for this as there are a lot of candidates to go through... We watched Saving Private Ryan in the time it took for our turn.

Anyway, the interview is simple.

They will go over your fitness test results, aptitude test results and the technical selection test results and will advise on what roles are applicable.

They ask you straight forward questions. Make sure you know the following:
  • A reason why you want to join the army;
  • What regiment you want to join/hope of joining;
  • Your chosen regiment's current deployments;
  • Knowledge of your phase 1 and phase 2 training;
  • Values and standards of the army (C-DRILS etc)
If you passed, you will receive a certificate and a goody bag.
Just to add onto this, you get a form to fill out on your first night there. I can't remember if it needs to be filled in before you head to bed or if it's one of the sheets you bring down in the morning (it's all explained while you're there, just pay attention and don't be one of the people who can't follow instructions)

If you fill this out properly, you may well have a much easier time during the interview, since that's the cheat sheet the interviewing officer (or recruiter, some were in plain clothes but I was fortunate enough to have a very nice (Major? After the stripes I'm basically a lost cause at rank recognition) interviewing me) will reference from when asking about you. I apparently put enough information in there that it was clear to the officer I'd done my homework and was aware of what I had gotten myself into so he gave me the compulsory CBT talk that I assume everyone gets, and we had a short chat about my colourblindness since it was the only issue that came up (I was well aware of it before but didn't actually get a job list until this final interview with what was available to me) and I was off to get my goody bag (make sure to ask if you don't get one, I almost missed out on mine before I asked.)

Anyone going next week 20th? travel day on the 19th. I cant wait as I was deferred P8 over two years ago for a heart issue and needed a key hole op, so after over 2 and a half years, numerous letters and medical acceptance from the army im P2 and back. Trained my arrse off and praying for that green card from the medic
Good luck!

Just a quick question, is there a age minimum you have to have to go to an army careers centre? I’m 14 and want to pop in just to talk to them but I don’t know if I’m old enough or something...just want to make sure

Just a quick question, is there a age minimum you have to have to go to an army careers centre? I’m 14 and want to pop in just to talk to them but I don’t know if I’m old enough or something...just want to make sure
You are more than welcome to pop in to an ACC at 14. There is no age limit and a Careers Advisor / Recruiter will be happy to help you.

By policy you can’t officially apply until 15 years and 9 months, however, due to the tight Harrogate timelines lots of recruiters will star5 the process at 15.7.

Nothing formal can be done without parental consent for under 18s

Age to join - British Army Jobs

Technically policy says candidates cant start the Selection process until they are 15.9, which I would argue is different to the application process, but I get your point.

The fact remains that candidates can apply at 15.7.
So difine what an application is if it is not within “the formal selection process” (quote from policy, not above)?

There is absolutely nothing in policy that allows anyone to appply at 15.7, I am not arguing that RG allow it, but it certainly isn’t policy, unless you can show it to me?

AGAI 40, AEL 108, dated Jan 19, Para 40.035, but I am sure you know that already ^~

Ultimately it is down to an individual's definition of the word "selection" - we clearly define it differently within the world of Army recruiting - to you it is the application, to me it is attendance at the Assessment Centre, which is also why I suspect RG is allowed to get away with taking applications from 15.7.

And with that I shall wish you a good evening - I suspect we both have better things to do than argue the finer points of AGAI 40 on a Sunday evening.

Ultimately it is down to an individual's definition of the word "selection" - we clearly define it differently within the world of Army recruiting - to you it is the application, to me it is attendance at the Assessment Centre, which is also why I suspect RG is allowed to get away with taking applications from 15.7.

And with that I shall wish you a good evening - I suspect we both have better things to do than argue the finer points of AGAI 40 on a Sunday evening.
I suppose it all depends what part of the world of Army Recruiting you are in, we in Upavon are quite clear what the policy is and what part of "selection" it refers to. I also know exactly why we in RG are allowed to get away with it ^~

Hello,
I have my Assessment on the 3rd April at the Lichfield Barracks. I was hoping to get a few questions answered. Firstly the medical; what can I expect from the Lung Capacity Test? as I have done an LC test for my work before and only slightly passed. If failed would I be deferred or simply barred from entry? Next I'd like to ask about the formal interview at the end; what can I expect from this? Also if all goes well, how long usually is the wait from a passed assessment to training? (I'm going for PARAs so I understand I'll have to attend PRAC which I've been told would take place about 2 weeks after my initial assessment)

If anyone here has attended PRAC, how does the assessment play out?
Thanks.
1.5m(2.4km) run = 8:55
PRAC, was a different level physically The 1st day you turn up get picked up from station then its admin really just a quick note act proper so to speak from the day you are seen as a guy who went through the days didnt finish the events very well and a transferee from another unit. failed on the 1st day the CPL said due to his behaviour and attitude I didnt see why but he was pissed off.

But yes mainly to make sure they have the people expected. No medical at all as passed the in depth one presumably not so long ago.

The 2nd day the beginning of PRAC we did the 4 mile supposed 9 min mile pace defo not more like 7. 30 mile pace with a whole bunch of hills with daft names. Which you will need to remember at the end of the 4 miles or its hill sprints after already shattered legs stay with the group you will pass.

Day 3
The 1,5 run and lots of tv and a gap filler or two they got about 6 weapons out and we could ask question and get hands on. Literally smash it bits the run as the PFT was adamant he would fail as many people as he could if they did not get in the time he thought was acceptable. He asked a question if you finish 5th and have a supposed good time 9.30 would you pass someone stupidly answered yes, he took there number and said ok no 7. He would recommend a fail, and the CPL and PFT have the choice and will use there position to push you to the literal personal limits of yourself and what they expect off you.

Day 4
Jheez it was the hardest event to the point someone was suspecting of having onset of hypothermia after it. This was the steeplechase i did it early feb the water was iced up and it was seriously but I think a few of our group did enjoy it. I went in to the steeplechase thinking and expecting it to be fun like take it as an, assault course so to speak. Anyway we began at around 930, it is 2 miles in length and there is a time limit for this 19 minutes and each 5 seconds you were taken points of for your overall pass. But you would with day 3 and 4 do the course before hand like a warm up so to speak the assault course warm up was the worse. I expect a walk or slow jog around it and look at the obstacles. But no everyone would see how to attempt them first from water obstacles to the vaults and do them. As the corporals bet if they would or would not fall head first in the water. They said he will they were right they asked if someone would be the joey and attempt it for us all to see. A guy did who had passed it before but left at week 8 of basic. He was the demo guy daft in my opinion but he also finished it. After all this you clean up get into formation dont spit don't moan or its press ups or sprints. If you are at the back so what keep going they regularly call you a little **** take it on the chin. And just keep going dont be sarcastic or you will fail no doubt.
Also there were guards training on the field were it would start so after the test run, we began to head to the start point. They added the field in at the beginning the corporals went over to the guarrds and asked as polite as a para can to stop what they were doing so we could begin what we were doing. So yes a sprint down the length and the width of the rugby pitch to then begin the steeplechase they do this to drain as much as they can from you.

I finished and got a pass steeplechase was genuinely really tough I couldn't feel my arms due to the icey water we were in and out of boots filled up and a few people almost passed out if you can overtake someone do it.

Enjoy it its up there with some hard things I have done in such a short space of time. From jungle expeds to canoeing for twelve days in Guyanas essequibo but I genuinely enjoyed it. Some of the people on the course were nice guys and Hope I will see them at intake. But who knows a few dropped out first day. I think about 4 failed when speaking to the 2IC at the end.

Waiting for the english teachers to critique my punctuality.

Last edited:

Latest Threads