Regular recruit selection - sticky for all recruit application and assessment enquiries 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNM

War Hero
Dress as smart as you can within affordability and make sure what you wear is clean and ironed. Make an effort on your footwear, polish shoes or clean trainers, don’t have them covered in mud.

No one expects a formal suit and tie (but you can if you own one), or for you to break the bank buying stuff, but they do expect effort in your appearance.

Remember, you are selling yourself, so go well prepared to give reasons why you want to join the army, be honest and don’t bullsh*t.
Just don’t turn up in a Tux ;)

Recently attended selection so I'll give out some tips:

*Get in the habit of not putting your hands on your hips or in your pockets
*Don't stand on the grass unless told to
*Make sure your bib isn't inside out
*If you're going to yawn, particularly when one of the assessors is speaking, cover your mouth

They do stress the importance of the team tasks (50% of your final grade apparently). I'm pretty sure one guy in our section almost got deferred for lack of effort/confidence during the task and has to do some 4 week course.
In my opinion the teams for the tasks are far too big. For our section it was 8 per team. You're told to project your voice and give input, but at some point you're just going to be repeating what others have already said due to the large amount in the group. If you have 8 people talking at once then group can't function and if you have 8 people taking turns to speak then it will take too long.

Also don't even know why I bothered researching my 3 roles for the interview. All she asked me about was what my 3 job roles were and whether or not I'm in a relationship. Better to come prepared I suppose.
Hi pal,

Can you give an example of what the team tasks are likely to involve?

Cheers

rawsalmon47

Old-Salt
Are the selection centres only 1 day now? Mine says 0900-1700 but this is for April
Technically 3 day if you include the day you travel there, from my understanding it’s you get there on the evening, next day is your full day, day after that is your fitness test and interview and leave mid-afternoon

Mattjw93

Swinger
Could mean you travel and get there on the 5th, with the official “selection” starting the 6th

I’ve got selection 20th Feb but got a call saying i’ll Be travelling and getting there on the 19th
So when I log into the army portal the date states the 6th which is a Wednesday.. will this be the first full day or the travel day do we think? I presumed this would have been the travel day.

rawsalmon47

Old-Salt
You go the day it says but you stay 2 nights
Nah not in my case then ahaha, portal says 20th, got a phone call explaining how to get train tickets then he said i’ll Be travelling there on the 19th and be coming home on the 21st

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Recently attended selection so I'll give out some tips:

*Get in the habit of not putting your hands on your hips or in your pockets
*Don't stand on the grass unless told to
*Make sure your bib isn't inside out
*If you're going to yawn, particularly when one of the assessors is speaking, cover your mouth

They do stress the importance of the team tasks (50% of your final grade apparently). I'm pretty sure one guy in our section almost got deferred for lack of effort/confidence during the task and has to do some 4 week course.
In my opinion the teams for the tasks are far too big. For our section it was 8 per team. You're told to project your voice and give input, but at some point you're just going to be repeating what others have already said due to the large amount in the group. If you have 8 people talking at once then group can't function and if you have 8 people taking turns to speak then it will take too long.

Also don't even know why I bothered researching my 3 roles for the interview. All she asked me about was what my 3 job roles were and whether or not I'm in a relationship. Better to come prepared I suppose.
It's been many years but if your team task was my leaderless task, it serves a very specific purpose and it's particularly effective when assessing those who don't know what its purpose is.

My advice to anyone going through any basic Army selection process is enjoy it, don't try to second guess it, give a 100%, show a sense of urgency and enthusiasm in whatever you're asked to do, be willing to listen to others in any planning setting and be decisive when decision is called for.

Ultimately the Army's trying to work out whether you're trainable and worth training - and, when I think back to some of the creatures I encountered, it can be alarmingly flexible on even those basic requirements.

JNM

War Hero
Nah not in my case then ahaha, portal says 20th, got a phone call explaining how to get train tickets then he said i’ll Be travelling there on the 19th and be coming home on the 21st
Portal being amazing I’m guessing?

JNM

War Hero
Best thing since sliced bread, selection coming up and it’s still on “next stage: face to face meeting” ahaha, i just completely ignore it and phone the office now
I have about 10 chaser 3’s saying to sort out my docs that I sent in August :)

Mattjw93

Swinger
I had my assessment date through today for glencorse but it’s the 6th of March..
So when I log into the army portal the date states the 6th which is a Wednesday.. will this be the first full day or the travel day do we think? I presumed this would have been the travel day.
Best thing since sliced bread, selection coming up and it’s still on “next stage: face to face meeting” ahaha, i just completely ignore it and phone the office now
Think I’ll drop the office a call in the morning just to confirm haha.. need to make sure my holiday form is right!

amnesia

Old-Salt
You will travel there on the 5th.

You will stay the nights of the 5th and 6th and travel home on the 7th.

You travel down the DAY BEFORE the date it states on your portal.

Ignore anyone who tells you otherwise.

amnesia

Old-Salt
You go the day it says but you stay 2 nights
This is incorrect information. Candidates travel down the day before the date stated on their portal.

Why this hasnt been changed I have no idea - it catches candidates out constantly.

JNM

War Hero
This is incorrect information. Candidates travel down the day before the date stated on their portal.

Why this hasnt been changed I have no idea - it catches candidates out constantly.
I went on the day it said and started the next day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads