Regular recruit selection - sticky for all recruit application and assessment enquiries 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNM

War Hero
Curious as I have read elsewhere on the forum that the icebreaker was replaced last year at some point and instead you are put into small groups and you spend time asking each other questions and getting to know what others are planning on joining in the army and basically just getting to know them and then you'll be asked what you learned about the others in your group. Is this the same for all AC's or has it only been implemented in some?
We still had it in Nov but we were late so only like 5 guys did it

Curious as I have read elsewhere on the forum that the icebreaker was replaced last year at some point and instead you are put into small groups and you spend time asking each other questions and getting to know what others are planning on joining in the army and basically just getting to know them and then you'll be asked what you learned about the others in your group. Is this the same for all AC's or has it only been implemented in some?
For my assessment, the evening we arrived we each had to stand up infront of everyone (30-40 people) and say the following:

*Name
*Desired cap-badge
*Hobbies/interests
*A funny/interesting story

However on the paperwork we were provided with when we first arrived, there was a sort of bingo sheet. Presumably you'd have to go round speaking to everyone and find, for instance, someone who wants to join Paras or someone who was in the cadets. We didn't do this, that might be because of times constraints or it might be scrapped.

Jack D

War Hero
I had mine in september and we just had to talk to the guy next to us and one of the staff would come round and ask 3 things about the guy next to you. I think it's different for most depending on time

ldrese

Swinger
Hi just wanted to ask, about the "army briefing" after applying. What type of questions will you be asked after the initial presentation in the 1 to 1 discussion? As well as what is the dress code? thanks.

Hi just wanted to ask, about the "army briefing" after applying. What type of questions will you be asked after the initial presentation in the 1 to 1 discussion? As well as what is the dress code? thanks.
Hi,
You'll be asked what you want to do in the army, as well as what things you already do like fitness etc. Then you'll be told about your assessment centre

JNM

War Hero
What roles you’re looking for, why you want to join, what your family thinks, what your girl/boyfriend thinks if you have one.

Dress code isn’t enforced amazingly well a guy turned up next to me in joggers and a t shirt however first impressions count a lot and trousers, shirt with tie and shoes won’t hurt. Shows effort at the very least. I went in that and it was mentioned as a positive thing, can’t say what’ll happen at yours.

Plus you’ll feel less of a tit dressed properly next to 5 blokes in trackies compared to the opposite.

Tommo1999

Swinger
I am practising the ACT but struggling with the reasoning part. Vegetable below fish etc.. how are others memorising the 3 rules? Am I making this more difficult than it is as I can't think that anyone would be able to remember these 3 rules that change on each question?
Anyone done the ACT recently know if you get pen and paper?

JNM

War Hero
I am practising the ACT but struggling with the reasoning part. Vegetable below fish etc.. how are others memorising the 3 rules? Am I making this more difficult than it is as I can't think that anyone would be able to remember these 3 rules that change on each question?
Think of it more of an order than anything. For example tree before fish, fish after vegetable would mean:
Tree, vegetable, fish. Picture it in your minds eye then swap out the placeholder for what’s given. It’s literallt just telling you the order in a stupid fashion.

JNM

War Hero
@JNM - Have you done it? Did you get pen and paper? cheers
Yeah I did it, didn’t get any practice either :)
No you don’t it’s all on a computer screen, you do get some examples that you have to get right before you start the real section of questions though so you should be able to get into the swing of it first.

Tommo1999

Swinger
Yeah I did it, didn’t get any practice either :)
No you don’t it’s all on a computer screen, you do get some examples that you have to get right before you start the real section of questions though so you should be able to get into the swing of it first.
Cheers @JNM

ldrese

Swinger
Will recruiters only contact you by phone to arrange your army briefing date? I usually may not have the time in the week days to answer my phone within the day time so just wanted to know.

JNM

War Hero
Will recruiters only contact you by phone to arrange your army briefing date? I usually may not have the time in the week days to answer my phone within the day time so just wanted to know.
They left me a voice mail, just call them back when you can

Trant9724

Swinger
Yeah, its sort of what you said. When I went to do AC we did this on the bus to the barracks think they just wanted to get it out of the way more of a formality more than anything. Just went round individually asked where you were from how old you were what cap badge you were hoping to join etc.

Dress as smart as you can within affordability and make sure what you wear is clean and ironed. Make an effort on your footwear, polish shoes or clean trainers, don’t have them covered in mud.

No one expects a formal suit and tie (but you can if you own one), or for you to break the bank buying stuff, but they do expect effort in your appearance.

Remember, you are selling yourself, so go well prepared to give reasons why you want to join the army, be honest and don’t bullsh*t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads