Regular recruit selection - sticky for all recruit application and assessment enquiries 2019

The_Duke

LE
A new sticky thread for those hoping to undertake the recruit application process including attending an Assessment Centre (AC) during 2019.

The rules:

1. Think before you post - No personal details, no times of trains etc. Absolutely no FB links. Read the sticky thread on personal security before you start posting.

2. No such thing as a stupid question, but please make sure you use the search engine before you ask.

3. Use the medical sticky thread for medical enquiries. Make sure you look up the relevant parts of the JSP contained therein before you become the 50th person to ask that week if your asthma/depression/ADHD might cause you a problem.

4. Give (and receive) advice cautiously. We are lucky to have some true recruiting/ADSC subject matter experts who support these boards. Listen to them, not the bloke who might have passed but has no real idea how or why.

5. Keep it civil. For the "old and bold", if you can't help with accurate and current information, then head over to the NAAFI to play. Breaking this rule will result in ROPs.

JNM

Old-Salt
Hey guys, got my assessment in 2 days and I have a question. On the documentation I was provided with I'm told to bring 2 days worth of clean clothing that's suitable to wear in an office environment. What would that be exactly? Bearing in mind I'll be wearing a shirt and trousers for when I arrive. Presumably I'd be wearing this during down time, so would a pair of jeans and some t-shirts be ok?

Cheers
I just wore shorts all the time between stuff. Remember when you get there you’ll be pretty much be doing ice breaker then bed, the next day you’re just busy all day and the 2nd day you’ll be swapping into your interview clothes straight after your run. You won’t have much time to do much else.

I went in a shirt and trousers with a suit bag with the jacket in, swapped into nightwear pretty much straight away then wore shorts for 2 days and back into the suit at the end.

JNM

Old-Salt
Haha. I mean like when you click "Start your application today" on the website. I am too young to apply so I can't see it. My curiosity is getting the best of me.
Probs too young. It’s fairly mundane though, name, address, any allergies/medical conditions etc. If you’re really that curious about the process though you can always visit a careers centre

Probs too young. It’s fairly mundane though, name, address, any allergies/medical conditions etc. If you’re really that curious about the process though you can always visit a careers centre
In Northern Ireland there are no careers centres just on the street. You have to go inside the barracks which I am pretty sure you need clearance or something. In a few months there is a careers day at my school which the army has a stand for. I will just wait and talk to them.

JNM

Old-Salt
In Northern Ireland there are no careers centres just on the street. You have to go inside the barracks which I am pretty sure you need clearance or something. In a few months there is a careers day at my school which the army has a stand for. I will just wait and talk to them.
Not a bad plan

I am doing my assessment on Feb 12th up in Belfast. I keep hearing alot about supposedly "New Tests" that will be replacing the current ones. Does anyone have any idea about this, and what they might be? Thanks.

JNM

Old-Salt
I am doing my assessment on Feb 12th up in Belfast. I keep hearing alot about supposedly "New Tests" that will be replacing the current ones. Does anyone have any idea about this, and what they might be? Thanks.
I’ve read what they are but can’t rememver them. Something about marching with weigh, dragging a 100Kg sack and essentially a deadlift of 75Kg for 3 seconds if I remember correctly.

I’ve read what they are but can’t rememver them. Something about marching with weigh, dragging a 100Kg sack and essentially a deadlift of 75Kg for 3 seconds if I remember correctly.
Isen't that supposed to be the new PFA for serving soldiers and not the Assessment for the AC?

Is there any running involved during selection centre open days? Seen in a few threads that it’s pretty much a look about and being shown what goes on, but I’ve been emailed a form to sign and take with me that prevents liability should I get injured during a 1.5 run and physical exercise?

Recently attended selection so I'll give out some tips:

*Get in the habit of not putting your hands on your hips or in your pockets
*Don't stand on the grass unless told to
*Make sure your bib isn't inside out
*If you're going to yawn, particularly when one of the assessors is speaking, cover your mouth

They do stress the importance of the team tasks (50% of your final grade apparently). I'm pretty sure one guy in our section almost got deferred for lack of effort/confidence during the task and has to do some 4 week course.
In my opinion the teams for the tasks are far too big. For our section it was 8 per team. You're told to project your voice and give input, but at some point you're just going to be repeating what others have already said due to the large amount in the group. If you have 8 people talking at once then group can't function and if you have 8 people taking turns to speak then it will take too long.

Also don't even know why I bothered researching my 3 roles for the interview. All she asked me about was what my 3 job roles were and whether or not I'm in a relationship. Better to come prepared I suppose.

Last edited:

JNM

Old-Salt
Recently attended selection so I'll give out some tips:

*Get in the habit of not putting your hands on your hips or in your pockets
*Don't stand on the grass unless told to
*Make sure your bib isn't inside out
*If you're going to yawn, particularly when one of the assessors is speaking, cover your mouth

They do stress the importance of the team tasks (50% of your final grade apparently). I'm pretty sure one guy in our section almost got deferred for lack of effort/confidence during the task and has to do some 4 week course.
In my opinion the teams for the tasks are far too big. For our section it was 8 per team. You're told to project your voice and give input, but at some point you're just going to be repeating what others have already said due to the large amount in the group. If you have 8 people talking at once the group can't function and if you have 8 people taking turns to speak then it will take too long.

Also don't even know why I bothered researching my 3 roles for the interview. All she asked me about was my 3 job roles and whether or not I'm in a relationship. Better to come prepared I suppose.
I don’t think it’s 50% of your grade I ballsed it up and got a B.

Forgot to add that the staff at Pirbright were brilliant. We had the most contact with (I can't remember his name, sorry) the bearded assessor who broke his femur playing rugby. There was an older fellow also who gave a passionate speech during the ceremony.

Last edited:
Curious as I have read elsewhere on the forum that the icebreaker was replaced last year at some point and instead you are put into small groups and you spend time asking each other questions and getting to know what others are planning on joining in the army and basically just getting to know them and then you'll be asked what you learned about the others in your group. Is this the same for all AC's or has it only been implemented in some?

Latest Threads