Regular Officer Application with a Criminal Record

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Conor88, Jun 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I have seen an ACA about my future and the next stage for me is AOSB briefing in September. A few weeks ago I got into a bit of trouble whilst in Aberdeen. I got arrested and charged with breach of the peace which is a criminal offence in Scotland. I won't go into too many details but to summarise there was an argument with some bouncers at a club, both the bouncers and my group of friends were in the wrong, however the Police, when faced with a bunch of drunk students and some sober bouncers obviously took their word over ours. I'm not a thief or a thug, I was a little too drunk one night and some thuggish bouncers started throwing their weight around leading to an argument in the street. I was not the ring leader or instigator, I just didn't have the sense to walk away and thought giving the bouncers a piece of my mind would achieve something. I have never been in trouble before.

I would like to point out that I have been to court to state that I plead not guilty. Nothing may come of these charges but I'm very nervous regardless.

I'm wondering what repercussions this will have in terms of my application. Will I be asked about convictions at AOSB briefing? Is it worth my while letting someone know before hand. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'll happily accept any constructive criticism but I'm not looking for sarky comments telling me to join the French Foreign Legion.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Conor

2. Seriously?

No, the Army would much prefer that it's potential officers pull the wool over its eyes with regards to criminal records.

What the **** do you think?

3. Be honest about it.

4. In the dim and distant days of my youth, applicants had some sort of liaison officer they were in touch with during their application process. If such animals still exist, it would be wise to ask yours for advice -- they were always keen to make sure we passed, not the opposite, and he/she will know how to spin this, if any spinning is required.

Oh, and I believe the Foreign Legion are very strict about wanting to know about any convictions, so you've blown that option ;-)

5. A heads up might be an idea alright and declare it for you are convicted. Breach of the Peace is a minor offence and if you have no other previous and were found to be a minor player in the incident you would probably get a Binding Over - Or be good for 12 months you naughty little boy - which is not a criminal conviction.

In saying that I don't know anything about the Scottish Criminal Justice System.

Further to that a good point of mitigation would be your intention to join the Army and the adverse effect a conviction could have on your application.

6. My lawyer mentioned this as he asked about what careers I wanted to pursue. I told him I had an ongoing application for regular army officer.

I don't know much about the law myself, I understand that breach of the peace is not an offence in England however I've been told it counts as a conviction here.

If everything goes tits up and I am convicted what chance if any do I have of being successful at AOSB?

7. I've dealt with a similar case to yours recently:

- Of course you have to be totally upfront and honest - tell your ACA 1 soonest and don't try to hide it as you go through the process.
    - Any conviction you receive will be assessed as part of the AOSB process. This is done on a case by case basis and depends on the circumstances and the severity of the offence. It may lead to you being rejected outright, deferred or allowed to proceed with your application.

8. Here's a quick primer:-

1 Trial by combat was only abolished in Scots law in the 1980s
    2 IIRC there is still a statutory offence of witchcraft north of the border so make sure nobody spots you with a mobile phone.
    3 There are three possible verdicts in Scottish trials.
    4 In Scotland, the Sheriff does not wear a badge but he can send you down for a couple of years.

I served with a few officers who had convictions for offences committed while drunk. Should be OK if you don't run amok with a chainsaw before entering Sandhurst.

9. - Of course you have to be totally upfront and honest - tell your ACA 1 soonest and don't try to hide it as you go through the process.
    - If you are convicted of a minor offence you are not automatically rejected.
    - Any conviction you receive will be assessed as part of the AOSB process. This is done on a case by case basis and depends on the circumstances and the severity of the offence. It may lead to you being rejected outright, deferred or allowed to proceed with your application.

10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Be open, honest and upfront about it. You will be asked about any difficulties with the police during your AOSB briefing and any convictions or cautions on your interest and application forms. If you're honest, the situation will be dealt with on its merits; if you try to conceal it, you will eventually suffer a big integrity FAIL.

11. Join the French Foreign Legion