Regular AAPPS/P-Coy (advice to the uninitiated)

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by brave-coward, Mar 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly I am aware that a great deal has been written on this subject, however...

I have a few questions on the whole (regular) P-Coy process. I approach this from a non-infantry background, therefore apologies if some of the questions are a bit basic. (I have looked at the official army P-Coy website and as many of the previous post I could find.)

Firstly I am aware that there are a number of pre-P-Coy 'beat-up' courses, can anyone tell me if there is any real difference between them, which provide better or worse preparation for P-Coy? (my cap-badge does not run one).

Secondly kit, is it a case of issue kit only? If not, any recommendations for boots etc? Anything other than the obvious; C95, webbing, bergan, PT kit etc, required?

Thirdly, the obvious one, fitness training and other preparation. Has anybody used the Adrian Weale Fighting Fit Book and then done P-Coy? Was it adequate? Has anybody recently done P-Coy in their late 20s/early 30s, how did you find it? Also any advice on training for heights/the trainasium, clearly its not the sort of thing most of us have access to!

Finally, any good advice from anyone who has done P-Coy recently relevent and useful to a non-infanteer. I had considered approaching one of the co-located infantry Bns with a view to joining in some battle-PT/assault course training however this may not be possible and I imagine will be covered in any pre-P-Coy course anyway.

Also I understand that more is expected of officers, can anyone expand on this?

I appreciate there are quite a lot of questions here, but all good advice is gratefully recieved.

Thanks

2. As you seem to be able to write, why dont you try the commando course

3. Thanks, unfortunately my motivation for wanting to be able to pass P-Coy is to allow me to work within the airborne/air-assault world in order to widen my professional experience. Sadly no such opportunities currently exist in 3 Cdo Bde, therefore P-Coy.

Quite honestly for me P-Coy would be a means to an end, I have no particular interest in the badge collecting element of it, I just appreciate that without doing it I won't be able to get the experience I want.