Registering to Vote?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Whiskey_60, Mar 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably should have made an alias account for this mong question but here it goes...

I'm at the age now where I can vote in the next General Election (just missed out on the last) and want to do so, as I'm a British Citizen does that mean I just tip up to a polling booth and cast my vote or do I need to do something before hand?

Yours mongishly,

(Also had no idea which this forum fit into)
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Are you serving or a civvy?
  3. STABtastic, if that counts for anything.
  4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

That means you register with your local authority just like everyone else:
    Registering to vote

5. Cheers for that, didn't know if you could just do it on the day or not!
  6. You should be registed on the electorial role where you live, other wise if you want to open a bank account, get a loan etc you need to be on it.

7. Whiskey

if we all just tipped up on the day labour would get back in, as the Millions of illegals would just also tip up and hey presto Mr Brown you have another five years to reek havoc.

8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Bloody hell Whisky, they don't even do that in Bongo Bango land. 8O
  9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Absolutely right. First port of call for all credit reference agencies is the Electoral Register.
  10. This is another useful link:

AboutMyVote from the Electoral Commission

It has all the info you are likely to need, but to cut to the chase, enter your postcode then click a 'Register to Vote' link.

The website will produce a downloadable registration form already addressed to your local authority, all ready for you to fill in and sign. But you can't send it electronically - you have to post or deliver it in hard copy.

Good for you. If you get the chance, let us know how you get on!

(For those likely to be in Afghanistan during the UK General Election, please see my later post in this thread)
  11. On a slightly related note, as the General Election hasn't been anounced yet, what happens if you're on Op's? Is it still possible to vote whilst out in the ulu somewhere hot?
  12. If you aren't already registered life will be difficult. I contacted my local authority from HERRICK by email and asked for them to send my postal vote here. They were very obliging but pointed out that they can only send out postal votes 11 days before the election - not willing to take the risk of it a. not being received in time or b. not getting back in time I opted for voting by proxy.

They only needed me to provide my last few registered addresses as proof of who I say I am.

Bottom line though is that this is something that ought to be sorted before you deploy.
  13. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Yes & Hackle is the man to speak to about that.
  14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Mr Brown promised on last weeks PMQ's that all serving members would get the chance to vote - so thats likely to be a no then. He did not make it clear if that was only by Proxy.

If you have not registered it might be an idea to do so mach sneel.
  15. (from BAFF) Are you registered to vote?

Like the normal service voter registration form, the special Op Herrick form has options to vote either by post, or by proxy (nominating someone to vote on your behalf).

If you are likely to be out of the UK at the date of the election, the advice remains to consider a proxy vote if at all possible.