Registered Mental Health Nurse wanting to join up as an Officer

Discussion in 'Army Professionally Qualified Recruitment' started by mattycaine, Oct 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

I'm new to all of this so please bear with me. I'm a Mental Health Nurse with a first class honours degree in the subject, I'm also studying for a Masters degree and I have a couple of other post-grad modules under my belt. I'm looking to join the Army as an Officer, I have the relevant clinical and leadership experience applicable to my field. Where things begin to look bleak is the fact that I got a 'D' in Maths at GCSE level. That is seemingly the only blot on my application, however I have read somewhere that the Army will judge potential candidates on their individual merits, and perhaps will overlook certain things in favour of other praise-worthy attributes (in so far as these are applicable to the role being applied for). I heard that this is one of the main draws of the professionally qualified officer route. Any help will be greatly appreciated guys.

Regards

Matty

2. Spend a few months on here and you will have all the experience you need to be the head of Nursing!!

3. Has Sluggy got your phone number?

4. That was just nasty!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. I my experience as an (unsuccessful) candidate, that D will not be overlooked. You will just have to man up and re-sit. On the plus side, if you are well-motivated you should be able to teach yourself to a passing grade with about four months' decent work; don't kid yourself though, it is *not* as easy as everyone makes out. I busted my balls but I still only managed a B.

I know a chap who was in the same situation who was allowed to do his AOSB briefing before he had his pass, so my advice would be to try for that; do your briefing this winter and try and line up Main Board for next september, immediately after results have come out. That way it won't be such a ball-ache if you get a Cat 2 pass with a delay, since you'll be delayed in any case. Good luck.

6. I'm sure as a mental health nurse you join as a Corporal, this is to bring your pay in line with your civilian counterpart, usually eligible for promotion to Sgt after about 3 years. I think at this point, you can then apply for commission. Never heard of anyone joining as an officer before, but not to say it's impossible of course.

I am attending a MH course on Thursday, if there is any questions you want me to ask, just let me know.

7. Cheers for the responses guys, it's appreciated

8. i wouldnt think it would be overlooked! give it a go though! but my advice is to resit

9. I sincerely doubt you join as a cpl.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

10. A Mental Health Nurse

On ARRSE

How ******* ironic is that!

• Like Like x 2