Registered Mental Health Nurse wanting to join up as an Officer

Hi Guys,

I'm new to all of this so please bear with me. I'm a Mental Health Nurse with a first class honours degree in the subject, I'm also studying for a Masters degree and I have a couple of other post-grad modules under my belt. I'm looking to join the Army as an Officer, I have the relevant clinical and leadership experience applicable to my field. Where things begin to look bleak is the fact that I got a 'D' in Maths at GCSE level. That is seemingly the only blot on my application, however I have read somewhere that the Army will judge potential candidates on their individual merits, and perhaps will overlook certain things in favour of other praise-worthy attributes (in so far as these are applicable to the role being applied for). I heard that this is one of the main draws of the professionally qualified officer route. Any help will be greatly appreciated guys.

Regards

Matty

S

syledis

Spend a few months on here and you will have all the experience you need to be the head of Nursing!!

I my experience as an (unsuccessful) candidate, that D will not be overlooked. You will just have to man up and re-sit. On the plus side, if you are well-motivated you should be able to teach yourself to a passing grade with about four months' decent work; don't kid yourself though, it is *not* as easy as everyone makes out. I busted my balls but I still only managed a B.

I know a chap who was in the same situation who was allowed to do his AOSB briefing before he had his pass, so my advice would be to try for that; do your briefing this winter and try and line up Main Board for next september, immediately after results have come out. That way it won't be such a ball-ache if you get a Cat 2 pass with a delay, since you'll be delayed in any case. Good luck.

I'm sure as a mental health nurse you join as a Corporal, this is to bring your pay in line with your civilian counterpart, usually eligible for promotion to Sgt after about 3 years. I think at this point, you can then apply for commission. Never heard of anyone joining as an officer before, but not to say it's impossible of course.

I am attending a MH course on Thursday, if there is any questions you want me to ask, just let me know.

I'm sure as a mental health nurse you join as a Corporal, this is to bring your pay in line with your civilian counterpart, usually eligible for promotion to Sgt after about 3 years. I think at this point, you can then apply for commission. Never heard of anyone joining as an officer before, but not to say it's impossible of course.

I am attending a MH course on Thursday, if there is any questions you want me to ask, just let me know.
I sincerely doubt you join as a cpl.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

A Mental Health Nurse

On ARRSE

How ******* ironic is that!