Register your mobile phone!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by IT_Guy, Feb 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It was decided at Christmas that IT_Guy and clan would all get mobile phones as we thought the kids could be trusted with them and they're pretty cheap.

I got pay as you go phones and was in two minds as to whether I should register them online or avoid the hassle and deluge of junk emails and not bother, as it was easy to top them up online I decided to bite the bullet, it has proved rather fortunate that I did.

When my daughter left her phone in the local shop and upon enquiring it had not been handed in my wife, despite our previous experiences with plod, decided to report it stolen and was soon in possession of yet another crime number and the usual 'not much we can do' attitude.

I called TMobile to get the phone blocked and suddenly remembered that all calls made since it was nicked would be listed on the website as the phone was registered.

Bingo! almost all the credit was used up and I had a list of numbers both landline and mobile! Wifey excitedly calls plod with the news and is told that firstly they will let her know if they need the numbers and secondly not to call the numbers as it would be classed as harrasment.

Showing the usual deference and respect for the local plod we ignored their warnings and repeatedly called all the numbers asking who called them from a stolen phone, we also text all the numbers offering a reward for the name of the thief.

We received a text from one of the numbers this morning informing us that the phone had now been handed in at the local shop, daughter now has her phone back - result!

So if you have a pay as you go mobile make sure to register it, there's hours of fun to be had if you loose it!

Oh, how much should I charge the plod for doing their job for them?
  2. Try knocking six bells out of daughter first,then report YOURSELF to plod ...
    then you will have saved then time in both cases
  3. My bold, when did the phone become stolen? She left it in a shop.
  4. The definition of theft.

IE: although the phone wasn't in the possesion of the owner through carelessness it still belonged to her and was stolen when the Scrote walked off with it. They also stole the money remaining on the top up.

Lucky her she got the phone back! Put this one down to experience i think
  5. Presumably when whoever took the handset and used up the credit 'dishonestly appropriated the property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it' contrary to Section 1 of the 1968 Theft Act.

Or something like that. Sadly, I'm not the slightest bit surprised that a serving police officer has to ask the question. I wish to God I wasn't.

Edit: Great minds think alike, Footpad!
  6. Moment someone picked it up and removed it from the shop without the intention of handing it in to the police it was stolen.

In the last 10 years there has been a rather unpleasant change in society. Previously, items found in the street (with the exception of loose change) would more often than not be handed in to the police or relevant lost luggage/items office. Now when people find something (like a dropped/mislaid ipod/phone/wallet/etc) the general attitude seems to be "result!" with little or no intention to hand it in, and with no associated guilt. People with this attitude are scum.
  7. Or perhaps we just walked into a WAH! ??
  8. Thanks for page one of the theft act, now go and look at 'appropriates' in detail, and then tell me when the finder "assumed the rights of owner".
  9. Don't waste your breath. Scrotes, you are either for them or against them. Had they NOT been scrotes, the phone would have been handed in immediately unused.
    Toomany people choose to kiss the festering ring of the unwashed masses, which is why they get away with so much that is patently unacceptable.
    IT Guy, good drills.
    Hogg, if you are recruiting for 'hug a hoody' try elsewhere.
  10. You're welcome. That'll be £50 for the legal advice. :D

I don't quite see where you're going with this one. According to the CPS Charging Practice appropriation took place when the scrote used the phone and credit held therein for personal calls.

Had the credit been used in an attempt to trace the owner, I don't think a prosecution would pass the 'reasonable and honest' test - I hope not, I've done this myself on two occasions - but since the scrote clearly assumed the rights of an owner, they're guilty of theft.
  11. When he pressed the little green dial button and started spending someone else's money?

I'm no expert and I'm looking forward to hearing your interpretation of this incident.

EDIT: Smartascarrots not only got there first but with a more comprehensive reply
  12. Pretty much as already said, when they assume the rights of the owner. Removing from the shop and making use of the credit pretty much fits the bill. Oh nearly forgot; also making no practical steps towards finding the owner and return it such as handing in to the shop or police or calling a number on the phone.
  13. I fully agree.
    Where I was going with this was clarifying when the theft took place.

Question - was IT guy aware of the use of the credit when he reported it to police. From his post, I would suggest not.
    Ergo it should have been recorded as a loss not a theft.
    Later, when further facts came to light, i.e. the 'finder' had assumed the rights of the owner by using said credit, it then became a theft.

As I said in my original question "When did the phone become stolen?"
  14. Fair enough, but the construction of your question and your subsequent responses could be reasonably assumed to be casting doubt on whether a theft took place.

Damn, I'm beginning to sound like a lawyer!

Edit: In any case, whether or not IT_Guy knew the phone had been stolen is irrelevant to whether the thief took it deliberately and with intent. Ergo, it was always a theft. He just didn't know it.
  15. Yep, It was enough that the phone was "left at" (not mislaid somewhere unknown) and no attempt had been made to contact anybody about returning it, to strongly suspect theft and report it as such to the Police.

For the guy at the desk not to accept it as a report of theft would mean.

a) a pedant getting his rocks off.

b) a nick desperately, desperately trying to keep it's figures down any way it could.