Register of WWII British servicemen

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Contrarian, Feb 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My grandfather is a character. He's coming 93 and served during WWII. The problem is that at the end of the war he was shell-shocked. Sadly I've only ever had brief conversations with him about his service, and they were years ago. I'd like to find out more, but it's as if asking him even rudimentary questions about his service is out of bounds. I know he was an engineer. I heard he was involved in the D-Day landings, and fought at Caen. Also, I remember being told that he was involved in an incident involving the sinking of an amphibious tank but survived, unlike one of his compatriots.

Where can I find a register of soldiers that served in WWII, so that I can track his service details down, so as to develop a greater understanding of the man?

2. This has been covered before - but for dead relatives. I don't think that it will work for someone who is still alive (it's one of the tasks on my list for when my father croaks....).

These records have not been released to the National Archives, so I think you have to ask the MOD for the records and provide the death certificate and details of your relationship.

I am not aware of any other way of discovering Service records for WW2.

3. Yep, no details are available through the National Archives. It looks like I shall have to talk to my nan and other family members.

4. What I haven't done is enquire if my father can gain access to his own records. I shall do so!

5. Wow. Some of the stuff posted by the old sapper, Swordman, match some of the things I've heard about my grandfather's experience. In one post, Swordman states:

This and the rest of the post match pretty exactly what my grandfather has said about his experience of the D-Day landings. I remember taking with a pinch of salt the story that he was amongst the very first to land. Maybe swordman and he knew each other.

Many thanks.