Regiments prior to SAS

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by The_0ne, Feb 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Out of curiousity does anyone have any idea what the makeup is of the sas in terms of prior regiments?

Para
    RM
    Any other?

2. Seaforth Highlanders.

3. ;

The SAS was formed in 1941 as a commando force operating behind enemy lines during the war in North Africa and disbanded in 1945. In 1947 the Artists Rifles regiment was remodelled as the nucleus of the reformed Special Air Service which has become the model upon which many other countries have based their own special forces units.

This link has some info that may help you

4. Yeah, quite a few.

5. But any idea what percentage are ex para, what percentage are rms and what percentage are other regiments etc?

6. I believe its something like 60% percent have served in the parachute regiment at one time.

I remeber reading it on the army mod site.

7. How about The Duke of York and Albany's Maratime Regiment of Foot?

8. Or the Army Air Corps

9. read somewhere it was 57 precent of them come form the paras

10. surely most would have been ACF at one stage?

11. They do wear rather dashing yellow tunics after all...

12. I think I misunderstood you with my first post, are you referring to nowadays?

13. Yes as of today mate, sorry for the confusion

14. I would imagine virtually none are royal marines as they would serve in the sbs, if that is what you mean by rms

15. Look at the list of SAS casualties over the last 8 years, it's quite an eclectic mix of regiments those men came from, including a RM killed in that Baghdad heli crash. :(