Regiments in the Crimea and the Indian Mutiny

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by MadeUpName, Jan 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could someone enlighten me as to which regiments served in both of the major conflicts of the 1850s? I know of certain individuals who served in both, e.g. Evelyn Wood VC and Sir Colin Campbell, but can only think of a few regiments, the 93rd of Foot comes to mind. Correct me if I am wrong but I think none of the Guards so prominent at Alma and Inkerman served in India and none of the cavalry in the Crimean's Heavy and Light Brigade were involved in the later conflict. Likewise I don't think regiments in famous actions during the mutiny such as the 60th Rifles and the 9th 'Delhi' Lancers were participants in the Crimea.

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

38th (1st Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot.

3. I think there were quite a few. 6th Dragoon Guards got Sevastopol and Delhi 57 as Battle Honours. You could also check out 8H, 17L, 7th Royal Fusiliers, 19th, 20th, 23rd, 38th, 88th, and 95th Foot.

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Agreed, but 30 seconds and Google is all I'm sparing on this topic, I'm busy scanning two editions of "The Two Types" by Jon to post in a thread.

7. Thanks gentlemen.

8. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

93rd Highlanders (Argylls) and 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars spring to mind.

9. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Oh, and whatever regiment Errol Flynn was in.

10. The 93rd was one regiment I knew had prominent parts in both conflicts. Obviously they were the 'Thin Red Line' at Balaclava but I remember reading how despite being extremely gallant the then Captain Garnet Wolseley was denied a VC at Lucknow as he preempted the 93rd who were meant to open the act. Stealing the thunder of one of his favourite regiments put Sir Colin Campbell off writing the necessary glowing citation.

I'll go look into the history of some of the regiments TangoFowerAlpha mentioned, just have to get the nasty business of my AOSB out of the way first.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

32nd of foot were in the Mutiny, later 1 DCLI earned the title Light Infantry from that war and also the Lucknow Tureen which was in possesion of 1LI Officers Mess during my time!