Regimental Visits

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by etpoide, Nov 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am an army bursar in my second year of uni and have been told that it is worth visiting several regiments before going through Sandhurst to help with the later decision of which regiment to join.

I was wondering what exactly these visits involve. I assume there will be an interview with the Adj, if not higher, but how long should I expect to stay in the mess and what else normally happens during a visit?

Advice much appreciated.

2. Can't really answer that question without more detail, can only give you some "how long is a piece of string?" type banter. Who are you interested in etc will determine what sort of visit they run. A 2 Battalion infantry regiment will run an almost completely different visit to say the RLC.

3. I will be visiting The Rifles regiment, as they are currently my sponsors, and hope to sort that out through Major Day. As yet I am not sure which battalion I will be visiting; I am based in London so probably somewhere in the south. I am also hoping to visit the Grenadier Guards and Light Dragoons.

At present I have organised a visit with the 9/12th Lancers through the brother of a friend. What was (unofficially) said to me was that I will have a meeting with the Adj then spend the rest of the time in the Officers mess (and I presume having drinks in the evening). There was also mention that I could get involved with some PT.

So essentially I suppose I'm just after an idea of how these visits might differ from each other so that I will know what to expect and prepare for.

4. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

It might help your case if you could spell 'battalion'.

5. True, changes made

6. Try this on for size.

You will almost definetly visit several of the top corridor occupants depending who is in station. May have interviews or just an informal five minutes.

One of the company's will look after you generally one of the young Pl Commanders. You will stay in the officers mess where they will almost certainly ensure your blood alcohol level ensures you can't drive for a month and a swamped mattress will be your badge of honour leaning against a radiator in the morning.

Be prepared to do some phys with the troops.

It will then depend on role, if they are AI then it's a trip to the sheds and a play in the turret. Different roles different equipment.

It will depend on who is in station and their FOE.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  7. On one of my visits to a certain armoured regiment, we were all (including the current YOs) so hanging in the morning (thanks to the Adj and his varied personal booze collection) that we chinned squadron PT and went for a gentleman's jog instead. Much better. At other visits we've had full-on PT sessions regardless of inebriation state.

In the interview stakes, I've had everything from full on 30 minute quick-fire intellectual battles, to 10 minutes with a cup of tea for a friendly chat.