Regimental visit interview / meeting

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Aspiring Cadet, Sep 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm afraid this is a repetition of something that came up in another thread, but that thread seems to have died off and perhaps people are more likely to make suggestions about this issue in particular on a new one.

I was wondering what sort of questions a potential officer candidate would be asked on a regimental visit / colonel's interview, as opposed to the interview and selection process at AOSB? Presumably one's general suitability for the army (including physical and mental abilities) is determined at Main Board, so what criteria will a regimental interviewer use when deciding whether or not to "sponsor" you?

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts / information anyone has - and once again, apologies for the repetition of the same question.
  2. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

in all seriousness, I would like to know as well :)
  3. TMo

TMo Swinger

The interviews I've been to with infantry regiments have been very relaxed and generally seem to be a chance for them to ascertain what sort of bloke you are.

Why do you want to join the Army? followed by...
    Why do you want to join the Infantry? followed by...
    Why have you shown an interest in this Regiment?

Thereafter was just a general chat about what my hobbies are, what have I been up to since graduating. However, it's also the perfect opportunity for you to ask questions back to the Recruiting Officer: What are the soldiers in the Regiment like?, for instance.
  4. African or European?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. According to Google, the airspeed velocity of an unladen European swallow is 24mph.

Fast little buggers arent they.
  6. "Do you hunt? Good. Play rugger at all? Position? Centre, excellent. The mess is full of forwards at the moment. Do I know your mother? Ah, capital. Well that ought to be alright."

The interview of a late friend of mine when visiting his cavalry regiment. As reported by him. The salt is on the table over there, just one pinch!
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

How much slower are they when laden?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. And how do we know they're fast unless we can compare them to the african swallow?
  9. You should all know an african will always swallow ;) they need the protein
  10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

One swallow does not a summer make, though.
  11. Sounds pretty close to my initial chat with the Skins. The Colonel of the Regiment picked me up from outside the mess at Larkhill (like with Universities one has to have an insurance offer) in his battered shooting brake with slight aroma of labrador and we discussed just the same on the way to lunch.

The fam visit to the Regiment was a little more challenging. We were plied with half-pints of mixed spirits called "Jelly Wobblers" at the end of a dinner night, then expected to remain sensible for the next few days.
  12. By a not perhaps so surprising coincidence, this chap also commissioned into the Skins. '84 I think - unless he gapped it? You probably know him Plumers, PM me if you are that interested?
  13. Applicants are told all these stories about Oxbridge interviews, too (interviewees thrown a rugger ball as they walk through the door to see if they catch it, etc.) - but they're all total nonsense. Just because the interviews are not exercises in caring and sharing people write them off as a "who was your father" inquisitorial session but there's no truth in it.

Mind you, if there are first-hand accounts of regimental visits like this...
  14. OK they are perhaps a bit overstated, and bear in mind I commissioned close on twenty-one years ago, but at the time a Cavalry Regiment would likely be posted to Germany for twelve or fifteen years at a time. A Young Officer would be unlikely to be away for much time at all, except the odd career course or perhaps serving at a training establishment, with the AAC or SF, or perhaps on loan and even then these jobs were rare & normally came at Captain level.

Accordingly it was very important to get people who fitted in with the individual messes. For example the Skins when I joined had a reputation for being sociable to the point of alcoholism and regarding anyone with more than a single A-Level as a dangerous intellectual. A University graduate might not have fitted into this milieu: indeed one such joined but found he didn't like the mess atmosphere and transferred, not just to the Light Cavalry but to a Vulgar Fraction to boot :wink:

This was not about snobbishness. In my first mess there were two former Corporals, one ex-Int Corps, one ex R Signals and while I didn't know one of them well, t'other was my absolute role model for the rest of my career. On the other hand there was an Officer who came from one of the biggest names in Regimental history & from the stereotypical background who was not ahem the most sympathetic of characters (if I might put it like that) & had retaineded that reputation when I met him a long time after I had left.