Regimental Transfers

REMEwalt

Old-Salt
Some will recall that, a few weeks ago, I was asking about some of my family that served before and during WW1.

I’m now starting to look at some from the second great unpleasantness, starting with my paternal Grandad.

He served for most of the war in the Maritime Royal Artillery, on the convoys providing A-A cover, reaching the rank of, at least, Sergeant. However, at some point in 1945 (I assume after VE Day but cannot be sure) he was transferred to the Royal Welch Fusiliers and sent to Ty Croes on Anglesey to train as a tank commander in preparation for moving to the Pacific theatre.

Was this a common practice?

Some will recall that, a few weeks ago, I was asking about some of my family that served before and during WW1.

I’m now starting to look at some from the second great unpleasantness, starting with my paternal Grandad.

He served for most of the war in the Maritime Royal Artillery, on the convoys providing A-A cover, reaching the rank of, at least, Sergeant. However, at some point in 1945 (I assume after VE Day but cannot be sure) he was transferred to the Royal Welch Fusiliers and sent to Ty Croes on Anglesey to train as a tank commander in preparation for moving to the Pacific theatre.

By the time of the battle of Normandy Infantry units were so short that a lot of RA AA Gunners, RM Landing craft crew and RAF ground crew (including RAF Regiment) who were surplus to requirements were combed out and transfered to Infantry units. So I guess he was one of them as with air superiority in the Pacific courtesy of the US Navy there would not be such a big need for maritine RA as earlier in the war.

What @par avion said about the comb-out of all sorts of odds and sods in 1944 to provide infantry replacements.

As for infantry retraining for armour, about 40 battalions were transferred to the RAC in 1941/42. 10th Bn Gloucestershire Regiment, for example, became 159 Regt RAC.

I don't know of any RWF battalions that were transferred in this way, and none as late as 1945.

Air superiority only came about due to fuel supply and pilot experience

The Japanese aircraft were catching up in design and weapons

My grandfather was AA RA for most of the war then like others I think farmed out into the Inf (waiting on his records coming through to confirm think possibly 5th Bn Kings even though he was a Scot. Do you have a name/service no and I'll have a look on the RA medal tracer records?

With those in the RA AA IIRC there was something around 250k of troops on UK soil in this role as the V1/2 launch sites had largely been over-run and the bombing raids almost a thing of the past the RA for example was stripped out and used as BCR's to cover the losses over the eummer/autum battles this guy taught RAF who had been transfered into the guards to make up losses

Recall reading on here that this sort of thing happened.
@AlienFTM , was it one of your posts?
My uncle joined Northumberland Hussars in September 1939. His squadron (like so many Yeomanry regiments, q.v. South Notts Hussars) were promptly converted to artillery. Uncle Rob became Light Anti-Aircraft. SNH got 25pdr.

But these were both about balancing manpower against the perceived requirements rather than in 1944 when the meat grinder meant there was a dire shortage of infantry and tank crews.

This all from memory, cos I'm sat eating breakfast gazing out of a holiday cottage window above Sennybridge preparing for a other scorcher.

By war's end I think the total of RTRs had reached 48 and the number of Regiments, RAC reroled from elsewhere had reached nearly 150.

15/19H, slaughtered in Belgium in 1940, but back on the OrBat by July (as a Motor Machine-Gun regiment because there were no tanks), spent until 1944 rebuilding, but being regularly denuded of a squadron for BCRs*, before getting into the action in August 44 and leading 11 Armd Div and XXX Corps from Normandy to the Baltic, with asides assaulting the Seine with 43 Div and Eindhoven with 101 Airborne.

But after D-Day, losses of line infantry and armour meant that anyone in a REMF role was likely to be reroled at the drop of a hat, just like the Boxheads, and latterly the Russians.

Another entirely separate possibility for the OP (but I don't think so). My uncle Alan was RA in Deolali (not Concert Party). He ended the war waiting to invade the Japanese mainland and forever cheered The Bomb. As a Warrant Officer Forward Observation Officer commanding a Sherman OP tank.
_____

* A former 15/19H colleague and fellow Facebook group admin recently found a picture of a 15/19H in the desert, even though the regiment was never there (during the war). The consensus was that he was one of these BCRs, who hadn't yet rebadged.

REMEwalt

Old-Salt
A minor correction. It was The Welch Regiment that he transferred to, not the RWF.

Attached is an image of his capbadge and dogtags. I make the number 3968845, which fits the Welch Regiment allocation.

I'm working from the photograth, my father (who actually has the items) thinks it's 5968845. That makes no sense in that that number would fall into the Bed & Herts Regiment allocation. However, coincidentally, we are a Bedfordshire family.

Would he have been renumbered on transfer from the RA?

However, I'm getting no hits on FMP or Forces War Records for either number. His full name was Sydney Arthur Goodman, born 15/05/1915 in Bedford.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-14 at 11.48.02 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-14 at 11.48.02 AM.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 6
I can have a look I don't think in WW2 the numbers changed like in in WW1 where they even changed between Bns of the same Regt However checking the WW2 RA tracer cards on ancestry I can only see 1 SA Goodman and matches the regt No you thought it was.

1655209969093.png

Last edited:

I was under the impression that Ty Croes was an anti-aircraft artillery training site (one of several to be found along the Welsh coast.) Perhaps tanks were there as well at some time.

The late John Peel (DJ and presenter) served part of his National Service there.

Also a good link explaining the numbering system and just as I thought should have kept the same Regt no this link shows the blocs of No's allocated to each corps/regt

REMEwalt

Old-Salt
I can have a look I don't think in WW2 the numbers changed like in in WW1 where they even changed between Bns of the same Regt However checking the WW2 RA tracer cards on ancestry I can only see 1 SA Goodman and matches the regt No you thought it was.

View attachment 670329
Thanks for that. It raises further questions. 14 Medium Regt RA was converted from 8th Bn Bedfordshire & Herfordshire Regt in December 1942.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
My grandfather was AA RA for most of the war then like others I think farmed out into the Inf (waiting on his records coming through to confirm think possibly 5th Bn Kings even though he was a Scot. Do you have a name/service no and I'll have a look on the RA medal tracer records?
BCRs got sent to where they were needed. Just done a D-Day tour, my mates Dad, proper cockney, got sent to France with 9th Cameronians, Scottish Rifles with the 51st Highland Division. His mob was one of those that took Hill 112, proper bloodbath, out of his company of 180 men, only 17 made it back down. It wasn't made any easier seeing as the "Hill" was virtually flat and they could be seen coming from miles away by the 12th SS "Hitler Jugend" Panzer Division.

Maximus Acidus

Old-Salt
A minor correction. It was The Welch Regiment that he transferred to, not the RWF.

Attached is an image of his capbadge and dogtags. I make the number 3968845, which fits the Welch Regiment allocation.

I'm working from the photograth, my father (who actually has the items) thinks it's 5968845. That makes no sense in that that number would fall into the Bed & Herts Regiment allocation. However, coincidentally, we are a Bedfordshire family.

Would he have been renumbered on transfer from the RA?

However, I'm getting no hits on FMP or Forces War Records for either number. His full name was Sydney Arthur Goodman, born 15/05/1915 in Bedford.
I think it says 3968845, not 5968845, which fits with your opinion and the card @brettarider found.

Latest Threads