Regimental Stories (BBC HD 2030Hrs-20/09/11)

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by spike7451, Sep 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

BBC HD tonight at 8.30pm,Regimental Stories,(1 of 6) charts the story of British Regiments,tonight is the story of the Royal Welsh & tells the real story of Zulu.

Also on BBC4 & repeated at 1250am on the same channels.
  2. Cheers for the heads up, think I'll tape that one or whatever it is you do nowadays.
  3. A 30 min programme. I didn't expect that it would do much to tell the real story of Rorke's Drift and it didn't.

Nor did it do the regiment much justice; half an hour to "chart the history" isn't going to even scratch the surface of any regiment.
  4. Series does not set out to tell the whole history of the Regiments it features, obviously impossible in 30mins. The point of each programme is to look at how certain events in the Regiment's history are so important to who they are and what they do that the events are still celebrated today.
  5. Sorry but the whole concept of these programmes is flawed. Even if just one aspect of a regimental history was the focus, it would do nothing to explain "who they are and what they do" simply because modern regiments have too many antecedents.

As history, it's a failure. As a sop to the current interest in the military, the series may have some value but the 30 min slot is better suited to the short attention-span of the BBC Three (yoof) audience. If the intention is to show why the regimental system is worth preserving, it failed dismally.

The two programmes shown so far have looked like recruiting films (a little bit of history and then cut to serving members having a good time). Perhaps these programmes were destined for the core BBC Three audience but someone got cold feet about the Corporation acting as a recruiting sergeant and they were swapped to BBC 4?
  6. Count yourself lucky to be able to make a comment on its content, no chance of seeing it here in Crete, unless someone can tell me different.
  7. Shame that the Para one failed to mention the huge number of non Para units that took part in the pre D Day landings.
  8. Clue was in the title. It was about the Reg, not a documentary on Overlord.
  9. Yeah and did you see the state of the berets on them reg lot, bloody disgrace.
  10. I agree. No doubt shit will be hitting the fan as we type.
  11. It was interesting to contrast the i8nstructions given to new wearers of the red beret to positokn the centre of the badge over the left corner of the eye with the beret styles of the WW2 veterans - over the centre of the eye!

When exactly did the paras start to wear their cap badges over the left edge of left eye? Is this an ancent custom or a modern fashion?
  12. I joined in the 60's and it was the same, centre of the badge over the corner of the left eye, so nothing has changed
  13. I was only joking mate, there is a multi page thread somewhere on the same programme with some old duffer harrumping on about it.
  14. HHH

HHH LE

Have you tried this;

Expat Shield

15. The Paras don't have antecedents.

But yes most of the Regiments featured have antecedents but, rightly or wrongly, certain historical events seem to take precedence over others. Tank Regiment has Cambrai Day as their Regimental Day;
    the Scots DG celebrate Waterloo and have "Waterloo" on their capbadge even though some of the Regiments which they merged with in 1971 were not there. Royal Welsh celebrate Rorkes Drift &
    Saint David's Day. The reality is at Rorkes Drift two thirds were not Welsh but the Regiment still celebrate even though they are an amalgamation of Regiment's, some of who were not there. But it must
    mean something for them to celebrate and to sit down and watch Zulu every year, give talks to recruits, etc.

Also, the soldiers that are interviewed say that their history means a lot to them, gives them a sense of identity, etc. So the idea isn't entirely flawed although I would agree with you that the formation of
    "Super Regiments" has eroded the traditional Regimental system.

As for BBC3 vs BBC4? BBC4 currently have an "Army Season" and have opened-up the archive, so I think you will find it was always a BBC4 commission, along with the Sandhurst series. And I don't think
    the military needs the BBC to help recruitment - there are already more people wanting to join than the army can take on, particularly in the current climate.