Regimental Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Pilb, Jun 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been searching the forum and the British Army website, as well as other sites, for some more information on this to try and understand exactly what it is. However I've had no luck and I cannot find a thread that actually states what it is.
    So can you guys help? What is regimental sponsorship, and what does it do and mean for the person being sponsored?
    Thanks in advance.

2. It basically means that you get put on a regiments books, which means that you are more likely to get attachments (and the regimental magazine!) from them. It's an indication of interest, and nothing more. I was sponsored for 5 years, then jumped ship second term of Sandhurst. It's a good way of getting on piss-ups with like minded potential officers too.

3. Thanks for the help, you've cleared it up for me. I was expecting it to be a bit more formal, but from what you've said it sounds like it should be a lot of fun and relatively easy-going. Thanks again.