Regimental questions.

ugly

LE
Hey guys, I'm just trying to find the right fit.
I'd rather ask, and research, than just jump in.
As you are from the commonwealth the options are wide open, however some recruiters may steer you towards or away from choices, some may just dump you in where numbers (and morale) are low saying you can transfer later. Basically its possibly the most important choice and getting it right isn't easy. Come over and visit the regiments themselves. I'm sure the family visit system exists to allow this.
After the first few weeks of training moving regiments or trades becomes more complicated!

You could always try the smaller more exclusive Regiment experience, something a bit more uncommon that the green beret & Jaeger horn, might I suggest the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, Still got the old county Regiment family feel. Currently in the Armoured Inf role so working with Warrior

I agree with @JNM: if you’ve got something to prove or want to challenge yourself then look at Para and RM.
I would suggest that, if you’re fit enough, chuck an application for the RM in regardless (as it’s part of the RN you can apply for it in addition to an Army one).

I echo @Fusilier5039: the smaller line regiments maintain a more intimate sense of community than some larger and more corporate cap badges. The RRF are a fine regiment (if you ignore the tampons in their beret) but perhaps look across the other side of Tidworth Garrison to The Royal Welsh.
We have a single regular battalion and a single reserve battalion. Impressive history, quite an informal yet professional way of doing business and with the inimitable blend of fiercely proud identity and quiet humour of the Welsh infantryman.
We have quite a few Commonwealth, mostly Fijian. It may be of interest to you that the regiment retains links to the Canadian Royal 22e Regiment (known as the ‘van doos’), with officers regularly cross-posted, and in Estonia last year we had a few join us.
https://www.theroyalwelsh.co.uk/
The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh (Brecon)

Last edited:

JNM

Old-Salt
I agree with @JNM: if you’ve got something to prove or want to challenge yourself then look at Para and RM.
I would suggest that, if you’re fit enough, chuck an application for the RM in regardless (as it’s part of the RN you can apply for it in addition to an Army one).

I echo @Fusilier5039: the smaller line regiments maintain a more intimate sense of community than some larger and more corporate cap badges. The RRF are a fine regiment (if you ignore the tampons in their beret) but perhaps look across the other side of Tidworth Garrison to The Royal Welsh.
We have a single regular battalion and a single reserve battalion. Impressive history, quite an informal yet professional way of doing business and with the inimitable blend of fiercely proud identity and quiet humour of the Welsh infantryman.
We have quite a few Commonwealth, mostly Fijian. It may be of interest to you that the regiment retains links to the Canadian Royal 22e Regiment (known as the ‘van doos’), with officers regularly cross-posted, and in Estonia last year we had a few join us.
https://www.theroyalwelsh.co.uk/
The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh (Brecon)
Yeah I CBA scrolling back and looking but I remember the SAS being mentioned and the best prep for that would be Para or RM, or SBS too if you go RM. But that depends on if the guy is fit enough, can do P Coy or commando training and has no issue doing the jumps.

I’m going REME so I can’t really say anything about infantry roles cos I never researched them, just what I’ve picked up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Something in the, British military please.
Scots Guards. They are Infantry and Scottish.

Also regular deployment to Buck House, Tower of London and so much more including trips outside of London to Windsor Castle.
You’ll love every proud moment of it.

Thank me later.