Regimental marching songs and hymns

Hello to you all.

I’m looking for the Second World War regimental marching songs and/or hymns of the following infantry regiments:
- Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire LI
- Highland Light Infantry

Is there anyone who could help me please?

Thanks in advance :)

Wrong regiment-- wrong side--but apparently used by French Foreign Legion and numerous others (including some UK Tankies)
Great tune.

Wrong regiment-- wrong side--but apparently used by French Foreign Legion and numerous others (including some UK Tankies)
Great tune.

I prefer Erika myself.

But back to the original subject, didn't regiments have Quick and Slow Marches? The Royal Irish Regiment had The Peeler and the Goat for a Quick March and St. Patrick's Day for the slow IIRC.

Not the best of recordings . . . but from a very sad, memorable, event . . .

Published by Jim Titheridge, on 10 April 2013.

"The last ever performance of Wait for the Waggon at the Royal Corps of Transport Depot, Buller Barracks where the Staff Band of the RCT resided until the corps was disbanded. This was the final parade held on 30th March 2013 by ex members of the corps to say goodbye to the Depot before it was sold".

A better recording . . . played by . . . "some other mob" ;) !!

Last edited:
I prefer Erika myself.

But back to the original subject, didn't regiments have Quick and Slow Marches? The Royal Irish Regiment had The Peeler and the Goat for a Quick March and St. Patrick's Day for the slow IIRC.
Correct and the rifle and light infantry regiments also have double marches as well - 140 paces to the minute:

"Bugle Major, sound the double!"

Wasn't there a big furor in the 90's where some witty group of chaps were singing or playing the Horst-Wessel-Lied and were overheard?
I'm sure that I remember something kicking off.

Cultural appropriation.
Win the war, nick their songs
In this case, nick their title - Commandos - as well!
Happens all over.

Noticed the header called it the Royal Marines Regimental March which sounds like a bit of an appropriation.
They already have A Life on the Ocean Waves, Preobrajensky and Oh we do like to be beside the seaside - I think Sarie Marais is referred to by the the more generic 'Commando March' by their Band Services.

Noticed the header called it the Royal Marines Regimental March which sounds like a bit of an appropriation.
They already have A Life on the Ocean Waves, Preobrajensky and Oh we do like to be beside the seaside - I think Sarie Marais is referred to by the the more generic 'Commando March' by their Band Services.

Royal Marine Commando marching song. A word, and song, lifted from a respected/vanquished foe.

Royal Marine Commando marching song. A word, and song, lifted from a respected/vanquished foe.
Did they steal their women too . . . or just their clothes?