• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Regimental Kirks

As it's Sunday and knowing how much we are all in need of spiritual and moral uplift, here is a story about the Kirk of the Black Watch celebrating its 50th anniversary today in Perth:

Black Watch Kirk marks birthday

A landmark in Scotland's military and religious history was celebrated on Sunday.

It is 50 years since the Kirk of the Black Watch was established, the first of its kind in the British Army.

The Kirk of the Black Watch was set up in 1954 while the Scottish regiment was based in Kenya during the Mau Mau emergency.

It is a mobile parish which travels with the regiment wherever it goes in the world.
It's a presbyterian thing. :) To my knowledge, at least two of the other Scottish infantry regiments have their own Kirk too.

link to full story http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4029105.stm

My God!
Is there no escaping church parades these days?

The last one I skived off I got fined £2, yep only two quid as it was our BC's last week with the battery, I remember the BSM telling all seven of us before we were marched in to plead guilty to make life easier for him and the BC......................Oh happy days!

hackle said:
It's a presbyterian thing. :) To my knowledge, at least two of the other Scottish infantry regiments have their own Kirk too.

[/quote="hackle"]

It may be a Presbyterian thing, but their chaplain is a "piscy", so the Kirk may not be quite what they are used to... no more 40 minute sermons about how damned they are for them on this tour! :p

Latest Threads