Regimental Insight Course

MaroonMayhem

Swinger
Hi, I passed my army assessment centre before Christmas with the job choice of paratrooper starting as a junior soldier. A few weeks later I received an email inviting me on a Regimental insight course. I’ve accepted offer, so I’m just wondering if anyone could tell me what it is I’ll be getting up to, or point me in the right direction as to where I should look.

I did it several years ago so it though the detail has probably changed the course gives you and the Paras am opportunity to assess whether you’re a good fit for the regiment.

It was three or four days long and we stayed in the blocks in Merville Bks, Colly. The blocks were still very new when I was there and done to a much higher spec than many blocks at other camps I’ve lived in since.

There was obviously a lot of phys. On the first day, after we were given coveralls and numbered bibs, we did a bleep test to a certain standard (I can’t remember exactly what) and people who didn’t make it went home to set the minimum standard. It wasn’t anything unreasonable so don’t fret you’ll go home (if they still do that).

We did a PFA (1.5mile run in under 9:30 followed immediately by two minutes of press-ups, two minutes of sit-ups and then as many ‘heaves’ (pull ups) until failure on a a wooden beam). We also did a log run, stretcher race and the assault course.

We had a number of lessons, demonstrations and lectures on life as a junior soldier in the Paras, a bit of regimental history, opportunity to ask questions of serving Toms and get hands on with weapons and equipment including parachutes.

We were divided into sections of 8-12 led by a Corporal or Lance Corporal and at the end of the course had some interviews and then got graded (red: Paras aren’t for you; amber: you need more preparation; green: you’re ready for PRAC) and given feedback on how they thought we stood for PRAC and P Coy.

Though I didn’t join the Paras (I went with a mate who was keen on them and is now commissioned Para), it was a brilliant course I enjoyed thoroughly and would recommend the experience to anybody interested in joining whether you want to join the Paras or not.

There are lots of threads already about how to train for joining but that is largely secondary to the attitude you demonstrate. Just give 100% in all you do, pay attention and work your Arrse off.

Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Hi, I passed my army assessment centre before Christmas with the job choice of paratrooper starting as a junior soldier. A few weeks later I received an email inviting me on a Regimental insight course. I’ve accepted offer, so I’m just wondering if anyone could tell me what it is I’ll be getting up to, or point me in the right direction as to where I should look.
Start running, do push ups, sit ups & pull ups - even a couple of weeks will do you good, the longer you do it, the more good it will do you and the easier it becomes.

Be early for everything, do not gob off, or have a smart mouth, listen to what you are told.................and always keep smiling through all the stuff thrown at you. Smiling is important, never lose your sense of humour.

Good luck.

MaroonMayhem

Swinger
Start running, do push ups, sit ups & pull ups - even a couple of weeks will do you good, the longer you do it, the more good it will do you and the easier it becomes.

Be early for everything, do not gob off, or have a smart mouth, listen to what you are told.................and always keep smiling through all the stuff thrown at you. Smiling is important, never lose your sense of humour.

Good luck.
That’s great thanks you.

MaroonMayhem

Swinger

Good luck.
Will do, thank you for the advice.

Another tip. You have two ears and one mouth, use them in that proportion.

Hope it works out for you, it’s a great regiment.

Will do, thank you for the advice.
There is a difference between a RIC and PRAC, PRAC is your special to Arm selection for the Paras and a RIC gives yo7 insight into Basic Traing prior to you start.

Ensure you know which is which and push the NRC and your ACCfor joining instructions.

There is a difference between a RIC and PRAC, PRAC is your special to Arm selection for the Paras and a RIC gives yo7 insight into Basic Traing prior to you start.

Ensure you know which is which and push the NRC and your ACCfor joining instructions.
Totally agree, the RIC is for you to get an insight into life in the PARAs normally at Colchester and PRAC is the Assessment to see if you are suitable for the PARAs normally at Catterick, that you have to do prior to Phase 1 training...so confirm with your Lead recruiter at ACC or with your CSM at the NRC which one it is.

Hello I was looking for info on PRAC as I have it early feb. I found this floating about online looks really informative and official. Anyone who has done it recently would you agree with this layout and is this what people should expect. I passed ADSC with good remarks from the interviewer at the end other instructing staff. It was put on my file ASAP for PRAC which is the reason it is all so soon and not a lot of time in between. I feel good for it just more situps and pressups as the mark they want is just enough primarily situps. So ill add the PDF and let me know please if it is relevant and use it to gauge what to expect. It never let me upload it is there any moderators that can help as it is literally the most info I have found online about PRAC.

Totally agree, the RIC is for you to get an insight into life in the PARAs normally at Colchester and PRAC is the Assessment to see if you are suitable for the PARAs normally at Catterick, that you have to do prior to Phase 1 training...so confirm with your Lead recruiter at ACC or with your CSM at the NRC which one it is.
The infantry run a generic RIC at Catterick now for all capbadges. This is about to be superseded and the name changed in the near future to a generic event for all arms. PRAC will still be a stand alone event though.

Latest Threads