Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regimental initiations- past and present ?

Hey guys,
Just passed selection and I'm currently waiting for a medical issue to be approved or declined and then that's me off to phase 1.

Wanting to join the RDGs and I recently bumped into a guy I know who mentioned something about regimental initiations and it got me thinking.

Does anyone know if there is one and if so what is it for the RDGs?

Also out of curiosity alone, if your reg had an initiation, what was it? how'd you fair? when was it? etc.

*First post, if posted in the wrong place can someone please inform and move? Cheers*

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm not quite sure as I passed out, but it had something to do with a baking potato, some lubricant and my bottom! Hope this helps :D

There was the matter of a monkey, a water tower and a make-shift parachute. The Para battalion fraternity wanted to impress the camp non-para trained personalities on their prowess.

A throng gathered at the appointed hour. The banana fed long tailed primate was duly despatched from the tower and it sailed, less than gracefully, to terra firma. It was then explained to the throng, that they would react in a similar manner on their first parachuting experience should they ever want to undertake airborne training.

I never did tell David Attenborough @Gungythree.

I was abused terribly when I joined my Regiment. The initiation has been almost banned now, I understand because it was so degrading and humiliating.

Being asked if you'd like to drink copious amounts of alcohol is terrible.

There was the matter of a monkey, a water tower and a make-shift parachute. The Para battalion fraternity wanted to impress the camp non-para trained personalities on their prowess.

A throng gathered at the appointed hour. The banana fed long tailed primate was duly despatched from the tower and it sailed, less than gracefully, to terra firma. It was then explained to the throng, that they would react in a similar manner on their first parachuting experience should they ever want to undertake airborne training.

I never did tell David Attenborough @Gungythree.

Funnily enough, I've heard that dit. The man who told me was I Para in the 70s. Cyprus, I think he said, and the monkey was called Minkey.

Mind, I know for a fact that he's a bit of a bullshitter.

Funnily enough, I've heard that dit. The man who told me was I Para in the 70s. Cyprus, I think he said, and the monkey was called Minkey.

Mind, I know for a fact that he's a bit of a bullshitter.

Middle East, Sharjah and it did happen. Sad ending I'm afraid, but that's for another time.

Edit to add - said water tower was clipped by an Argosy wing tip on a, 'how close can you get to the water tower' flying experience moment.

Last edited:

Donny

ADC
Middle East, Sharjah and it did happen. Sad ending I'm afraid, but that's for another time.

Edit to add - said water tower was clipped by an Argosy wing tip on a, 'how close can you get to the water tower' flying experience moment.
There's your mistake you see, right there.. Everyone knows you have to add the qualification 'without hitting it'. Crabs, eh? ;)

49PARA get the nigs to play Russian roulette... with an SLP. They're pretty hardcore.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Hey guys,
Just passed selection and I'm currently waiting for a medical issue to be approved or declined and then that's me off to phase 1.

Wanting to join the RDGs and I recently bumped into a guy I know who mentioned something about regimental initiations and it got me thinking.

Does anyone know if there is one and if so what is it for the RDGs?

Also out of curiosity alone, if your reg had an initiation, what was it? how'd you fair? when was it? etc.

*First post, if posted in the wrong place can someone please inform and move? Cheers*
They ritually disembowel anyone who starts a thread with "Hey guys, I'm new!"

Or is that just here?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

Latest Threads