Regimental History?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by thomas.glynn1, Nov 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am interested in the 19 Loc battery that I served with in 1955 to 1957 in Colchester. We were an independant battery that went on excersise to Norfolk. We mobilised for suez but we all know that it didn't happen.
    What happened to the battery, did it get disbanded?
    What happened to all of the regimental silver that I had to keep clean?
    Someone out there must know?
    Thomas.Glynn1

2. Have you tried E bay for your silver and Aurthur Negos or the HAC for your locating kit!!

Try the Firepower museum at Woolwich, Im sure they will be happy to answer your questions as they dont appear to have a lot on at present!

3. speaking of FirePower are there any truth in the rumours circulating on other web forums that Woolwich is about to close and Rotunda and Firepower may be moving to Larkhill?

4. Last month's Gunner mag ran an advert for the auctioning off of the stocks of reserve port in the cellars. So it sounds like a fairly firm decision to me. Don't know dates or future plans for the site off the top of my head...

5. Haven't heard the rumour but the Salisbury Journal carried the story years ago that it was originaly intended to be at Larkhill.

What state is the Rotunda in? I remember visiting it in Boys Service in the late 1960's and it didn't look too good then. Would hate to see it go down the pan for the sake of a few million! :(

6. The story circulating at Firepopwer is that whilst Woolwich will close (in about 2008) the museum will stay as the Gunner representation in Woolwich. I am the Secretary of the Friends, and this is the story being promulgated by the high ups in the museum and the Regiment. Although there is talk of a think tank into moving "some" of the collection to Larkhill.

With regard to the Rotunda, the land it currently stands on is being sold by the MoD, there has been some talk of costing a move for the building down too Firepower, although who would fund this, and also fund the upkeep is debatable, Certainly, neither the Regiment nor the Museum could afford this, and I am fairly sure the MoD wont either!

I will try too keep you posted on developments as I learn of them.

7. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

The same thoughts were given to each unit by the RASM himself last year.

8. [there has been some talk of costing a move for the building down too Firepower, although who would fund this, and also fund the upkeep is debatable, Certainly, neither the Regiment nor the Museum could afford this, and I am fairly sure the MoD wont either!
    quote]

No doubt the Rank and file will be asked to dig deep for another worthy cause!

Hows this for a brainstorm get the post room at Woolwich to rubber stamp each brick when removed with the firms 2nd class stamp then send each bit of rubble via royal mail postage paid to the Mueseum? The staff (if there are any left at Firepower) can rebuild in any spare time they have between there extended Tea/Fag breaks!

Do remember a tale of the land around the Dell and Ski slope being contaminated will this affect its sale ?[/quote]

9. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Exactly why the RASM turned up in units, to give the case of firepowers problem.

10. Sorry if this is old news but i'm well out of the loop here.

They actually going to sell off Woolwich lock stock 'n barrel?

11. Just like they disbanded 20 Bty!!

12. Fraid not, they're still alive and kicking down in Woolwich...nice try though.

13. Are they still a Cdo Bty?

14. Obviously thet where good at there job and very cost effective, how many planes did they shoot down?

No doubt they will fester and malinger at Woolwich with all the gear and no idea until Prescotts bulldozers turn up. Theres plenty of areas for them to do whilst waiting!

15. nope

We're back to the pre-falklands days.

blah blah. No one's fired a SAM in anger since 1982, and that was essentially a 3 Cdo Bde op.
    In recent years the bty has done some good work. Provided a troop to 42 Cdo for inf work in Sierra Leone and sent elements to Afghanistan.

Times change, it's not the lads in the bty who decide what stays and what goes.

20 bty remains...it was 22 that got the chop remember.