Regimental histories

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bouillabaisse, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I know this has been coverd before but I've used "search" and I've gone through this forum without much luck.

I've located my wife's great grandfather's grave through the Commonwealth Wargraves Commission but now would like to know more about what he was doing. Where can I get access to or details from the Regimental diary? He was 13th Battalion Middlesex Regiment.

Whilst on the subject, where can I find the Machinegun Corps and the Camaronians? (Both my grandfather's units).

Any help or advice gratefully received.

2. For info on the heavy machione gun corps try the Royal Tank Regiment(RTR) since the HMGC begat RTR.

For Cameronians I think they are now part of the Royal Scottish Regiment.

3. For the Cameronians,see Queens Own Highlanders now TheHighlanders,Royal Scottish Regiment.

CTC

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The Cameronians disbanded in 1968 rather than be merged with another Regiment.

For infor see their Regimental Site:

http://www.cameronians.org/

The Cameron Highlanders were a completely different Regiment and did become, after several amalgamations, part of the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

5. Apologies chaps

6. I knew you'd have the answer Auld-Yin.

CTC

7. Bouillabaisse

You've raised a bit of a question though. The tartan trews I've got have a broad yellow stripe rather than the blue shown on the Camaronians website. Any ideas?

8. Bouillabaisse

It looks like the Gordons, which is a pain. I'll have to look again at the original pair. I'd always assumed they were his WWI pair, but maybe his WWII issue.

9. 13th (Service) Battalion The Duke of Cambridge's Own Middlesex Regt.
    Formed at Mill Hill Sept 1914, K3, to South Downs in 73rd Bde, 24th Division, Dec 1914 Hove,May 1915 Shoreham, June 1915 Pirbright, 2nd Sept 1915 landed at Boulogne, 11th Nov 1918 73rd Bde, 24th Division France, moved to Le Louvion, east of Bavai.

K3= is one of Kitchener's new Army units raised in Aug/Sept 1914 by Lord Kitchener, new units were sometimes abbreviated to K1,K2 & K3.

10. Bouillabaisse

TVM. I've had a PM suggesting I try the PWRR for the war diaries for the Middlesex. Its these sudding trews that are causing a headache now. A double check in the "family history" trunk show it was the Cameron Highlanders, not the Cameronians that Grandpa B was in (my bad), but the trews don't match either regiment anyway.

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

If you know where these units' home towns are/were, you could try contacting the archive office at City / County Hall and asking if they have any War Diaries.

Researching my family tree a couple of years ago, I went into Durham Records Officce and when I got bored ploughing through BDM records, I discovered a microfilm containing the War Diary of a battalion of DLI who landed in Normandy. Far more interesting.

A long shot (must be a sniper) but worth a try.

12. If the War Diary of the 13th Bn. Mx. Regt. survived, it would have been handed over to the National Army Museum when the former Middlesex Regiment Museum at Bruce Castle Park, Tottenham closed in 1992.

It may be worth contacting NAM at the following:-

Middlesex Regiment Collection
    National Army Museum,
    Royal Hospital Road,
    London,
    SW3 4HT

Tel: 020 7730 0717

Fax: 020 7823 6573

Email:
    info@national-army-museum.ac.uk

13. The war diaries of the 13th Bn Middlesex Regiment for the period August 1915 to November 1919 are held by the National Archives at Kew under reference WO95/2219. The National Archives website explains the procedure for viewing records. The link below is to the catalogue entry for these war diaries.

WO95/2219