Regimental goat demoted: Regiment, 1st BN, The Royal Welsh

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Trip_Wire, Jun 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

The military mascot, a 6-year-old male goat called Billy, was downgraded from the rank of lance corporal to fusilier -- the same status as a private -- after army chiefs ruled his poor display had ruined the ceremony June 16 at a British army base in Episkopi, western Cyprus. Here is a link to the story.:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/06/24/goat.demoted.ap/index.html

2. The problem with this really is though... does the goat give one? Obviously you bust a soldier and he will lose money, prestige, responsiblity, etc and will feel bad about it, or they should if they are not complete arrses. Will a goat? He still gets fed, watered and looked after. He should be on ROPs instead.

Edit to add.

PS TripWire I don't think you always have to post in MultinationalHQ, you could put this in NAAFI Bar (not that recommended) or the Intelligence Cell.

3. I think demotion was a bit harsh. I'd have slapped him with some extras and took away his cigarette ration. That first tape is a bugger; easiest one to get, hardest one to bloody keep!

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I think that this is a totally unfair sentence for former LCpl Billy as he was only following the example of the Welsh Guards CO's horse on the Trooping parade who not only became 'frisky' but tried to take out the Sergeant holding the Colour! This is definitely a case where BAFF could have stepped in to help sort an injustice.

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

unfair to goats...JUSTICE FOR THE EPISKOPI ONE !

[​IMG]

(yeah I know it isn't Fusilier Billie but a smarter individual on parade ! )

Don Cabra

6. Goat spotter hat on. Goatman you are correct this is the mascot of another famous Welsh Regiment, either The 1st Bn or the 3rd Bn, The Royal Regiment of Wales, with Sgt David Joseph, an excellent fellow. That Regiment is now part of the Royal Welsh but the Regimental Insignia is now different. Goat spotter hat off.

This would not be the first time a Mascot has been severely punished. I served in the 1st Bn The Royal Australian Regiment many moons ago and its mascot a Shetland Pony bit the guest of honour on a parade once, punishment was reduced to the ranks and half oats for a week.

7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Lucky he's not turned into souvla (Cypriot BBQ).

8. A couple of hours being beasted around the square by the RSM should remind the little bugger to keep his dressing, damned disgrace the standard of goat we are recruiting into the army at the moment :D

9. Or handed over to the Gurkhas.

10. Shouldn't this thread be locked in case it prejudices Fus Billy's inevitable appeal or any other outstanding goat actions? :wink:

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Having looked at the picture again - isn't that goat wearing a tartan blanket - NAAFI Haggis anyone?

12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

13. If anyone has vidoe of this outrageous behaviour, I think we ought to see it. I bet Billy is more attractive than Lindy England.

14. ...am awaiting the inevitable calls for a pardon.

15. This also happened to the RRF mascot 'Bobby' the Indian black buck after he went berserk on parade. Although he does now wear two gold stripes on his over-coat. Maybe hes back in with the top knobs!