Regimental Dinner Advice.

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Sentinel89, Jul 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a black tie regimental dinner coming up, I was wondering if anyone has any special advice they want to fling my way? I have had a look around the forums and besides not leaving the table and chewing with your mouth closed I cannot find many pointers.

The only real question I have is how should I address people? As a civilian should I just say 'Sir' to everyone to play it safe or will it just make me look overly formal and therefore uncomfortable when a simple "hello, nice to meet you" will do?

*Scroll to end for my report after dinner*

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I'm assuming that you are going in the capacity of a Potential Officer, rather than a full blown civvy, in which case Sir would be entirely appropriate until invited/advised to use another form of address.

3. If you are a "guest" of the mess the "usual" etiquette (at least in my experience) is that you are not subject to the tender mercies of Mr. Vice and the Mess President so just be polite and friendly.

4. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That depends a lot on the Regiment. Guests are usually spared somewhat, but can be subject to the pranks usually reserved for new subbies. Which regiment are you visiting Sentinel? Tell me by PM if you want.

5. I have found that turning up with a startled chicken impaled on your cock normally breaks the ice and dispenses with those tedious '....so what do you do....' questions.

6. You mean as opposed to waiting until the toasts are concluded when the chickens (or whatever the barnyard animal du jour happens to be) are brought in for the pleasure of the entire assemblage?

7. Gremlin

Given that he's probably talking about a Gunner PO visit in Larkhill, I think that a Bustard would show a touch more 'Style, Flair and Panache'! :D

8. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

You should get off lightly if you just use some common sense and are sensitive to your surrounds.

We had a young officer who not only wore a non-vented jacket on his suit with Dr Marten shoes (albeit polished), he once (and only once) carried a pint of beer, in a glass with a handle, into the dining room.

Drink wine, one before the meal, possibly one with each course, make sure your tie is real and not clip on and for god's sake, don't get caught trying to put one into the 2ic's wife.

9. I have a connection in the regiment who has invited me along, so I guess I am going as a civvy, as its not an officially organised PO visit or anything, but clearly I do intend to become an officer so I want to put my best foot forward.

Haha, I love the advice on this forum it sort of drifts between useful, not so useful and then scary, keep it coming.

10. Gremlin

Absolutely! If you are going to get caught, make sure that it is with the CO's wife, preferably over his desk!

11. With a startled chicken.

12. edited to add - make sure its white.......... fecking dem blick ones will really show u is not one of us.

13. Gremlin

Wouldn't an aged turkey (ie an old gobbler) be more appropriate?

14. Your host should introduce you but if asked to identify yourself, remember to include your surname, only civvies come without one.
    Getting falling down drunk may not be such a good idea.
    Prompt letter of thanks to the President of the Mess Committee (PMC).

B

15. Don't forget the the sparkley snooker player's waistcoat and matching cummerbund. Wearing a pair of white socks and telling all that you had visions of joining the RAF will ensure that the Mess members will come and talk to you rather than you having to make the move to introduce yourself.

As a real conversation stimulator, find yourself some E-Bay LOF minature medals to mount on your breast pocket and tell the assembled throng that you find them an interesting and challenging organisation.