regimental cocktail party

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by aerobeh, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i have been invited to a regimental cocktail party, but am a bit confused on the best way to RSVP to the event.

is it best to write a formal letter just saying that i will be attending? do i start the letter with sir? (RSVP the adjutant).

sorry for stupidity but never had to RSVP anything to do with the military before (I am 19 btw). Thanks for any help.

2. Are you the only one from your unit going?

Normally the unit will send a combined reply though the chain of command.

3. Welcome to the site, Aerobeh.

Source good quality paper, envelope and a fountain pen. Then establish the name of the Adjutant including post-nominals. In your best handwriting, start

"Dear Captain xxxxx,

Lieutenant Aerobeh thanks you for your kind invitation to the Regimental Cocktail Party on 02 June 2009 and has much pleasure in accepting.

Signed

etc"

Address on envelope to include post-nominals and full address.

Enjoy yourself... :D

Repeat - with different words - afterwards.

Litotes

4. It really depends on the invitation: a good premise is to reply in kind.

Therefore if it's a formal invitation (eg. a written invitation along the lines of 'The Commanding Officer and Officers of The 69th Battalion The Loamshire Regiment invite you' etc. etc.) then reply formally, basically repeating everything that is in the main body of the invitation. You might end up with something like this:

'Mr Tarquin Aerobeh thanks the Commanding Officer and Officers of the 69th Battalion The Loamshire Regiment for their kind invitation to A Night of Snakebite and Indiscretion at Fallingdown Barracks at 7.00 pm on 29th February 2011 and afterwards at For Your Eyes Only Gentleman's Emporium and has great pleasure in accepting [or] but regrets that he can not attend as he has a prior commitment'.

There's no need to address the actual reply to anybody in particular but the envelope should be addressed to The Adjutant - other people may not open their mail but he certainly will.

Have a great time at the party and, if you want to make a good impression, don't vomit on, sleep with, or knock out anybody who's related to the Commanding Officer or the QM.

5. And also remember,these events are always fancy dress,so hire the most tasteless outfit you can find.Taking a female dressed as a slapper will also create a very good impression with the senior officers.

6. And how was your time with the 24th Punishment (mine-clearing) Battalion?

7. IIRC the envelope should be addressed to the PMC, otherwise Fred Karno's response is bang on the button.

8. I think you should set up a facebook website and invite all your mates too! :D

9. I was thinking along the same lines, albeit from a slightly different angle:

[​IMG]

10. It's one of Prince Harry's bashes is it?

11. If it is an RLC bash reply thus:

Yeah, like woteva; If I can I can but I ain't making no promises ya getme lol.

hope ya got bacardi 'cos it makes me randy. cya there
    xxx