Regimental "Birthdays"

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, May 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heard a bit of banter between two old soldiers the other day. Arguing the toss over whose regiment was best.

One said "Well ours was founded in 1656(?) what about your regiment?"
    Second: "My Regiment? THE Regiment! Oh I don't know, I think it was the 60th anniversary recently...."

Any suggestions?
  2. could be parachute reg but more likely he means the SAS ("THE REGIMENT"), which was formed during WW2 (july 1941)

to help out the french resistance as well as assasination and sabotage missions. After the war they were responsible for hunting down and killing/arresting many senior Nazi officers and members of the Gestapo.

Although the paras were established at the same time for very similair reasons.
  3. That's what I thought...
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Was that before or after David Stirling worked in North Africa :?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. after.
    in 1937 he was with the scots guards until 1940 when he joined 8 commando (as it was called) until it was disbanded in august 1941.

he then went to Cairo and suggested the formation of a new special forces group to general Ritchie (I'm not sure on the spelling of his name). but apparently a similar group already existed which was absorbed into Stirlings work.

after the war his brother William took over the SAS.
    whilst he became a mercenary (but for the good of England) and sold weapons to the enemies of Britains enemies. Fantastic bloke.
  6. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

7. It is recorded as a matter of training that SAS soldiers (a) have no knowledge of their regiments history, and thus (b) are happy to engage in conversations with ignorant private soldiers, in which they publicly display their ignorance.

Well done Watson. :roll:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I dont understand your point. I know what I know about the SAS based on history books, documentaries and other sources. If your trying to suggest that I dont know what I'm talking about then I suggest you consult a book.
  9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

:roll: :roll:
  10. Don't :roll: me. Is there anything incorrect about what I said? No there is not.

Although I'm sure you may turn around and claim to have been there with David Stirling in North Africa yourself.

OK if you know the whole bloody story then go ahead...
    basicaly you have not offered an alternative awnser and all you have done is add emoticons.
  11. He lost me too to be honest.
  12. must that time of the month. anyway were slightly off topic anyway. hope I could awnser your questions EX_STAB. And I'm still waiting to hear oldbaldy's expert opinion.
  13. RAF Regt? :D
  14. Ooh! Hadn't thought of that!