Regimental Backing

Hi everyone,

I've recently joined 5th Fusiliers in Sept - one of the resident Sgts has spoken a few times about Regimental Backing - he has a brass plate that keeps his beret, hackle and cap badge in place but I can't seem to find them anywhere to buy.

Currently I'm using plastic out of an ammo tin.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a proper backing plate?

Looks something like this

Screenshot_20191109_192031.jpg

Last edited:
Quite possibly the brass plate comes from the no-longer-issued 'Housewife', a mending and button polishing kit. It is not really a backing, it is for holding detachable buttons, collar dogs, and cap badges steady while you buff them. Ideal as a backing though, my dad used his for that purpose, and the last one of those I saw was in a display at the Imperial War Museum.

Quite possibly the brass plate comes from the no-longer-issued 'Housewife', a mending and button polishing kit. It is not really a backing, it is for holding detachable buttons, collar dogs, and cap badges steady while you buff them. Ideal as a backing though, my dad used his for that purpose, and the last one of those I saw was in a display at the Imperial War Museum.

We (RSIGS) were issued them as part of the cap badge, maybe because the crown is divorced and it was to maintain a correct, uniform spacing between Jimmy and HM's bonnet.

dwills

War Hero
That is stiff leather, so it can give if required, rather than damage your head. a properly shaped beret do not need them.

Latest Threads