Regiment With Largest Mess Bills?

Hi,

Out of interest, I was wondering if anyone knew where the largest mess bills were? I have stuck it in the RAC area as I assume it to be somewhere within this corps, but I am asking about the largest mess bills for the whole army! My initial guess would be household cavalry... Anybody know?

Thanks!

I used to be a chef in the officers mess with the QRH in Sennelager for my sins. A mess bill was levied against an officer for 12,000 euros prior to going on tour, this was not for a function or black tie night. This was a normal mess bill as the officers all had second incomes/inheritances etc and obviously more money than sense.

Further to this i do know of an officer at and RLC unit who "resigned" his commission after being unable to pay his mess bill!!

Officers mess Middle wallop in the early 60,s,lots of hooray henries playing at being pilots, bar bills of 4000 pounds a month for young subalterns was the norm , romantic supper for 2 and breakfast in bed next morning 250quid catered for by yours truly!!with champers and flowers 500quid ,helped to pay for my Jag xk150 :applaud:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
easy enough to check , plenty of mess records knocking about for 61/62, its all easy enuf to check up on via google, go ahead back up your accusation
I find that hard to take on, I would not like to think my personal affairs were available that easily on line.

If it is so simple perhaps you could supply a couple of links.

Other arms senior drill course - infamous mess bills on that one.

I was broke for 2 months after I got back.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I managed to rack up 120 quid in the crew bar on RFA Fort Vic.

Pretty impressive when you consider no wet in there cost more than 80p.

It must've been the crisps.

Hedonistic days my friend, hedonistic days.

Officers mess Middle wallop in the early 60,s,lots of hooray henries playing at being pilots, bar bills of 4000 pounds a month for young subalterns was the norm , romantic supper for 2 and breakfast in bed next morning 250quid catered for by yours truly!!with champers and flowers 500quid ,helped to pay for my Jag xk150 :applaud:
A FHC Jaguar XK150 cost £2110 in 1959 so must have been around 3 grand in 1962. A brand new E Type in 1961 was priced at £2,097. You're saying that you bought an XK150 for the price of 6 breakfasts with champagne and flowers and that subalterns were regularly paying mess bills that are equivalent to £72,000 in today's money?

I had a massive mess bill once , it had been photocopied on A3 paper instead of A4.
(It was an artillery unit, they didn't put their MENSA candidates to work in either mess, a bit like the mess members really)

I paid 1700 quid ,bought it off a mess member in the scots greys who lost his licence, the mess caterers at that time, used to do the romantic weekend deals quite regularly , all about the same time as the scandal with the officers mess waitresses, maybe some of the old and bold who remember me from the mess or the cooks club at wallop can verify my statements, am searching like mad for old piccies of myself in uniform with the car ,both at wallop and after argument with a telephone box on the way to andover,

I would say Household Division units would be in for a shout..... otherwise individuals who have a drink or mess social issue... ie.... showing off by collecting excess Port fines on dinner nights.

I paid 1700 quid ,bought it off a mess member in the scots greys who lost his licence, the mess caterers at that time, used to do the romantic weekend deals quite regularly , all about the same time as the scandal with the officers mess waitresses, maybe some of the old and bold who remember me from the mess or the cooks club at wallop can verify my statements, am searching like mad for old piccies of myself in uniform with the car ,both at wallop and after argument with a telephone box on the way to andover,
My apologies for suggesting that your car cost you 6 breakfasts; clearly it was only 3 with champagne and flowers, 1 without. A mere 30k in today's money. Should have served up another breakfast mind as you could have bought a house for £2670.

Anecdotally (I am obliged to say) at least one Commanding Officer of the Grenadier Guards in the 1980s was reputed to pick up the Mess bills for his "attached officers" - and the odd impoverished émigré - as they did not enjoy a private income but were still obliged to attend certain functions. I am not sure if this falls into the categories of altruism, noblesse oblige or genuine philanthropy but merely offer it as an observation

Anecdotally (I am obliged to say) at least one Commanding Officer of the Grenadier Guards in the 1980s was reputed to pick up the Mess bills for his "attached officers" - and the odd impoverished émigré - as they did not enjoy a private income but were still obliged to attend certain functions. I am not sure if this falls into the categories of altruism, noblesse oblige or genuine philanthropy but merely offer it as an observation
I hoped they spanked the **** out of his good will.
I have wondered in the past how officers attached to the Cavalry managed.

A cavalry officer in my company in a Ph 1 training establishment was called into the Adjutant....

Adj : Ah, about your outstanding mess bill...(raised eyebrow?)...
Cav chap: I'd hardly call £300 outstanding, overdue, granted but hardly outstanding.....
Adj: Please be so kind as to pay it and take 5 for being a smartarse!