Regiment choices when at Sandhurst

Hello everyone, been trying to find an answer to this question (have searched the forum) but it's probably easier to just ask those who've already been there, so if you don't mind..

I'm just wondering how many regiment choices you get to make in your third term at Sandhurst. I know I'm massively jumping the gun here because I'm not yet in any way affiliated with the Army, let alone RMAS, but I can only really see myself enjoying working for the Int. Corps.

What would happen if I didn't get in though, would I just have to choose somewhere else? Does anyone know roughly what % of officer cadets get their first choice of regiment?

Also, is Int Corps particularly difficult to get into? I have a 2.1 in a foreign language from a top 10 UK university, not sure if that would make any real difference...

Many thanks in advance for replies, glad to finally contribute to the forums.

By the time you make it to your 3rd term, you will (hopefully) have already been accepted into your regiment/corps of choice, as Regimental Selection Boards (RSBs) occur at the end of the intermediate term.

In week 6 of the junior term you make two provisional choices (or three if the Army Air Corps is one of your choices), which you then confirm later in the term. You rank your choices (1st and 2nd) in week 7 of the intermediate term, and go to RSBs in week12 of inters.
If your 1st choice offers you a place, you MUST accept it, if you are not selected then you take your 2nd choice.
If neither of your choices offer you a place, you enter into a clearing process, where any regiments/corps with spare places then take their pick of the remaining cadets.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

...Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.
theoretically, what happens if a cadet is getting to the stage where it seems as if he/she will pass the CC, but the clearing process has not produced a Regt/Corps who want him/her - and what happens in practice?

cheers.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but my understanding is that certain regiments and corps are "encouraged" to take a couple of extra cadets. Don't quote me on this, but a colleague of mine who is currently in the clearing process has been told this by his OC.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but my understanding is that certain regiments and corps are "encouraged" to take a couple of extra cadets. Don't quote me on this, but a colleague of mine who is currently in the clearing process has been told this by his OC.
would those 'certain' Regts/Corps be the more popular/you wish choices, or would they be more at the 'oh christ, not there' end of the market?

theoretically, what happens if a cadet is getting to the stage where it seems as if he/she will pass the CC, but the clearing process has not produced a Regt/Corps who want him/her - and what happens in practice?

cheers.
I'm pretty sure any sponsor is encouraged to take them. However there are some Corps that are generally undersubscribed and have to work hard to fill their spots. An example of this is the RLC, however Royal Sigs, RAMC, and the AGC (SPS) also come into this category.

would those 'certain' Regts/Corps be the more popular/you wish choices, or would they be more at the 'oh christ, not there' end of the market?
All depends on who has spaces. RLC and SPS, tend to, have spaces because they take quite a few officers. RLC especially needs a lot of officers initially. However, just because a regiment has spaces doesn't mean it's a shit choice, so don't fall into that trap.

But one thing I like to remind my friends who joined the infantry thinking it "only took top third" was that no matter how shit you were, if you really, really, really wanted to go Inf someone would take you. In the end, the regiments or corps can get told "you need officers, you're taking them". Happened to a guy in my platoon who was accepted by a Cav regiment before he was back termed and same thing happened on that Sandhurst programme recently to the single-celled organism that was offered a confirmed place in the HCav.

My experience of the choice of arm procedure at RMAS lead me to the strong conclusion that to join the Int Corps you need 2 of the following:

- an Oxbridge education
- Blonde hair
- A cracking set of norks

Good luck - its always been an arcane procedure complicated by the fact that ideally you need to be quite far ahead before its even begun. After that it resembles Palmerston's description of the Schleswig-Holstein question : only three people have ever truly understood it: one of them is dead, it drove another quite mad, and for my part I have forgotten. You can never really be sure if you've won, but if you find yourself donning an AGC-related or RAMC capbadge during the final exercise, its time to accept that you lost.

Note to all aspirant officers going to Sandhurst - for fucks sake be fit, and work hard for your platoon. Absolutely every challenge and selection process you face in the Army will be far easier if you do.

Why can you only see yourself working for the Int Corps? What is it about that job you want to do?
I want to work in a job that has a good carryover to a civilian career afterwards, should I want to leave the army. I think my degree would come in handy for something like HUMINT too. I like the idea of working in counter intelligence, I think it's where I'd fit in best I suppose.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So if I was rejected from my first and second choices, and cleared to say SPS, would I have to take it? Or could I leave the army or what? I'd hate to think I've signed up for something that I'd really rather not be doing!

I want to work in a job that has a good carryover to a civilian career afterwards, should I want to leave the army. I think my degree would come in handy for something like HUMINT too. I like the idea of working in counter intelligence, I think it's where I'd fit in best I suppose.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So if I was rejected from my first and second choices, and cleared to say SPS, would I have to take it? Or could I leave the army or what? I'd hate to think I've signed up for something that I'd really rather not be doing!
Anyone in the Army can work in humint, And the same goes for army linguists.

You can leave at any point during Sandhurst, although I'm not sure how many people do because of their choice of arm. You would have already invested quite a lot of yourself by then. If you had something about you I would suggest you commission and then attempt to join DHU or do a long language course.

Just a quick question. What makes you think you are suitable to be an Officer. A lot of people at Sandhurst are confident people who have the faith in themselves to overcome challenges, and more crucially to take other people over those challenges. You don't appear to have any confidence in your ability at all.

You can leave at any point during Sandhurst, although I'm not sure how many people do because of their choice of arm. You would have already invested quite a lot of yourself by then. If you had something about you I would suggest you commission and then attempt to join DHU or do a long language course.

Just a quick question. What makes you think you are suitable to be an Officer. A lot of people at Sandhurst are confident people who have the faith in themselves to overcome challenges, and more crucially to take other people over those challenges. You don't appear to have any confidence in your ability at all.
I wouldn't say ssessing the worst-case scenario isn't the same as a lack of confidence; forewarned is forearmed and that.

By the time you make it to your 3rd term, you will (hopefully) have already been accepted into your regiment/corps of choice, as Regimental Selection Boards (RSBs) occur at the end of the intermediate term.

In week 6 of the junior term you make two provisional choices (or three if the Army Air Corps is one of your choices), which you then confirm later in the term. You rank your choices (1st and 2nd) in week 7 of the intermediate term, and go to RSBs in week12 of inters.
If your 1st choice offers you a place, you MUST accept it, if you are not selected then you take your 2nd choice.
If neither of your choices offer you a place, you enter into a clearing process, where any regiments/corps with spare places then take their pick of the remaining cadets.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Out of curiosity - is this because the AAC is heavily oversubscribed or is there another reason behind it? I've not even started the joining process but I'm intent on joining a teeth arm, and the AAC tops my list at this point in time, but the impression I've gathered so far is just about everybody fancies a powder blue cap so they get their pick the best of the best (along with the Paras, of course).

Thanks for the information. I am confident that I'd suit an Officer role, but when faced with the prospect of being allocated to a regiment I would never have applied for (I don't have any of the three Int Corps qualities mentioned in Charlie_Cong's post) I want to know all the possible eventualities before applying, that's all.

Out of curiosity - is this because the AAC is heavily oversubscribed or is there another reason behind it? I've not even started the joining process but I'm intent on joining a teeth arm, and the AAC tops my list at this point in time, but the impression I've gathered so far is just about everybody fancies a powder blue cap so they get their pick the best of the best (along with the Paras, of course).
I think the reason is that there are so many variables involved with AAC entry that to make it one of only two choices would be too high risk. The board could love you but you could fail grading, or be too short for example.

I'm not convinced that the AAC are that heavily subscribed. There are people that want to be pilots but IMHO based on my experience at Sandhurst more people are interested in leading soldiers. Which is not something an Officer in the AAC will do a lot of. From my Coy, there were two people who wanted to join them, one who got in and one who was lucky to commission at all.

The situation might change with the end of combat operation in Afghanistan. Meeting friends from the AAC in Salisbury during a recent course, a couple of them have a slight regret in their choice given that they will have missed the conflict. Our peer group will have done at least two tours whilst they continued training. How much of a factor this is I don't know.

A final point is that you do not have to be in the AAC to be a pilot. A colleague has just been accepted for a flying tour from his Infantry cap badge. I would suggest that he has the best of both worlds. He will get to be a pilot, providing of course he passed training, but has also spent a summer being an infantry platoon commander on operations in Afghanistan. Having his cake and eating it? Probably in my opinion.

That said if it is pilot you want to do, the two or three lads and girls I know who joined the AAC tended to be quite high quality, and have a considerable advantage when it comes to getting the girls in the Chapel in Salisbury!

Thanks for the information. I am confident that I'd suit an Officer role, but when faced with the prospect of being allocated to a regiment I would never have applied for (I don't have any of the three Int Corps qualities mentioned in Charlie_Cong's post) I want to know all the possible eventualities before applying, that's all.
To be honest with you it's tricky for you to make an informed decision at this stage. I was interested in the Int Corps at the start of my process, but after attending the FAM visit my interest waned. You need to do a couple of these before getting to Sandhurst to give you a flavour of the roles available. I would never have considered the RE in a million years, but attended their FAM visit and they very nearly became one of my choices. The ethos of a Corps or Regiment can surprise and impress you. Likewise you may arrive at Sandhurst and discover a love for living in a hole and getting amongst it with a bayonet. Plenty of people I know did, and vice versa, arriving dead set on two infantry choices and discovering they had no desire for the life of an Infantryman. Similarly you may fancy the panache of the Cavalry, or your CSM might be a Welsh Guardsman and impress you with their ethos.

My point is to keep an open mind at this stage. There is a lot that can happen between walking into the ACO for the first time and finally walking up those steps for the last time. Everyone has initial inclinations but you would be surprised how they change.

Finally, my advice is this. Go to any corps with an open mind but in your dealings with them always give the impression that you are sure that you would be suitable for them. After all when you sit at your RSB, if you are not sure you are the man for them, then why should they be?

There are a lot of swingeing opinions on here: AGC related or RAMC and if you've lost (I know lots who wanted to go to those cap badges, and AGC related ones like the ETS never take anyone at 'clearing').

The AAC don't command soldiers (there are lots of knobbers in the AAC but sadly they're still able to command soldiers, even if they do it badly).

Get on a visits and see what they're like. Int Corps is dead interesting for the most part, but they also have shit jobs just like everyone else. Fit birds though.

Quick one on Int Corps- it's worth remembering that their fam visit is more like a selection weekend- you write essays and so on, and then, at the end, they say whether they want you or not. If you're terribly clever (like a certain TV star in my platoon) you can get chinned off by both flight aptitude (a reason the AAC doesn't count as a full choice because the physiological factors are a bit of a lottery), and the int corps visit, leaving signals, for example, as your 3rd choice which you actually get.

Also, AAC ground crew and RAMC are the current clearing spots. RLC isn't a safe 2nd choice at the moment, having had a spate of excellent recruiting. RE is taking rather a lot through clearing, particularly disappointed teeth arm candidates. You are likely to end up there as a chinned off infantryman, but it seems rather unfairly weighted towards clever and informed regiment choice as to whether you end up infantry/cav or not.