Regiment choices when at Sandhurst

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by decent_bloke, Jan 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, been trying to find an answer to this question (have searched the forum) but it's probably easier to just ask those who've already been there, so if you don't mind..

I'm just wondering how many regiment choices you get to make in your third term at Sandhurst. I know I'm massively jumping the gun here because I'm not yet in any way affiliated with the Army, let alone RMAS, but I can only really see myself enjoying working for the Int. Corps.

What would happen if I didn't get in though, would I just have to choose somewhere else? Does anyone know roughly what % of officer cadets get their first choice of regiment?

Also, is Int Corps particularly difficult to get into? I have a 2.1 in a foreign language from a top 10 UK university, not sure if that would make any real difference...

Many thanks in advance for replies, glad to finally contribute to the forums.

2. Why can you only see yourself working for the Int Corps? What is it about that job you want to do?

3. tbc

tbc Swinger

By the time you make it to your 3rd term, you will (hopefully) have already been accepted into your regiment/corps of choice, as Regimental Selection Boards (RSBs) occur at the end of the intermediate term.

In week 6 of the junior term you make two provisional choices (or three if the Army Air Corps is one of your choices), which you then confirm later in the term. You rank your choices (1st and 2nd) in week 7 of the intermediate term, and go to RSBs in week12 of inters.
    If your 1st choice offers you a place, you MUST accept it, if you are not selected then you take your 2nd choice.
    If neither of your choices offer you a place, you enter into a clearing process, where any regiments/corps with spare places then take their pick of the remaining cadets.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

4. theoretically, what happens if a cadet is getting to the stage where it seems as if he/she will pass the CC, but the clearing process has not produced a Regt/Corps who want him/her - and what happens in practice?

cheers.

5. tbc

tbc Swinger

I'm not entirely sure about this, but my understanding is that certain regiments and corps are "encouraged" to take a couple of extra cadets. Don't quote me on this, but a colleague of mine who is currently in the clearing process has been told this by his OC.

6. would those 'certain' Regts/Corps be the more popular/you wish choices, or would they be more at the 'oh christ, not there' end of the market?

7. I'm pretty sure any sponsor is encouraged to take them. However there are some Corps that are generally undersubscribed and have to work hard to fill their spots. An example of this is the RLC, however Royal Sigs, RAMC, and the AGC (SPS) also come into this category.

8. Read the ARRSE guide to the British Army. All your questions will be answered and you'll be streets ahead at AOSB

9. All depends on who has spaces. RLC and SPS, tend to, have spaces because they take quite a few officers. RLC especially needs a lot of officers initially. However, just because a regiment has spaces doesn't mean it's a shit choice, so don't fall into that trap.

But one thing I like to remind my friends who joined the infantry thinking it "only took top third" was that no matter how shit you were, if you really, really, really wanted to go Inf someone would take you. In the end, the regiments or corps can get told "you need officers, you're taking them". Happened to a guy in my platoon who was accepted by a Cav regiment before he was back termed and same thing happened on that Sandhurst programme recently to the single-celled organism that was offered a confirmed place in the HCav.

10. My experience of the choice of arm procedure at RMAS lead me to the strong conclusion that to join the Int Corps you need 2 of the following:

- an Oxbridge education
    - Blonde hair
    - A cracking set of norks

Good luck - its always been an arcane procedure complicated by the fact that ideally you need to be quite far ahead before its even begun. After that it resembles Palmerston's description of the Schleswig-Holstein question : only three people have ever truly understood it: one of them is dead, it drove another quite mad, and for my part I have forgotten. You can never really be sure if you've won, but if you find yourself donning an AGC-related or RAMC capbadge during the final exercise, its time to accept that you lost.

Note to all aspirant officers going to Sandhurst - for fucks sake be fit, and work hard for your platoon. Absolutely every challenge and selection process you face in the Army will be far easier if you do.

11. I want to work in a job that has a good carryover to a civilian career afterwards, should I want to leave the army. I think my degree would come in handy for something like HUMINT too. I like the idea of working in counter intelligence, I think it's where I'd fit in best I suppose.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So if I was rejected from my first and second choices, and cleared to say SPS, would I have to take it? Or could I leave the army or what? I'd hate to think I've signed up for something that I'd really rather not be doing!

12. Anyone in the Army can work in humint, And the same goes for army linguists.

You can leave at any point during Sandhurst, although I'm not sure how many people do because of their choice of arm. You would have already invested quite a lot of yourself by then. If you had something about you I would suggest you commission and then attempt to join DHU or do a long language course.

Just a quick question. What makes you think you are suitable to be an Officer. A lot of people at Sandhurst are confident people who have the faith in themselves to overcome challenges, and more crucially to take other people over those challenges. You don't appear to have any confidence in your ability at all.

13. I wouldn't say ssessing the worst-case scenario isn't the same as a lack of confidence; forewarned is forearmed and that.

14. Potentially. But self confidence is vital. I'm not sure we are after someone who doesn't believe he can make it, and if he can't, quits.

15. Out of curiosity - is this because the AAC is heavily oversubscribed or is there another reason behind it? I've not even started the joining process but I'm intent on joining a teeth arm, and the AAC tops my list at this point in time, but the impression I've gathered so far is just about everybody fancies a powder blue cap so they get their pick the best of the best (along with the Paras, of course).