Regiment Choice

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by propatria, Apr 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello there, i've just sent off my regular officer app.
    And the preferred regiment list was rather short and I couldn't see Household Cavalry (ideal regiment) so I clicked not specified
    will this mean i'm just randomly allocated or will I have choice
    Also is it worth instead going for a Local Regiment rather than a National one?
    I was born and raised on the North Yorkshire Coast if that helps
  2. This is because the Household Cavalry is composed of two distinct regimental identities. These are the Life Guards (LG) and the Blues and Royals (RHG/D). Or potentially, the form may have grouped all HCav/RAC regiments under the single heading "RAC".

When you go for your interview you will be pointed in the right direction.

Out of curiosity, what attracts you to the Household Cavalry?
  3. thanks for the reply!
    well they had other RAC regiments up hence the confusion and no mention of either LG or RHG/D

and I guess the history and its dual role as ceremonial regiment and as an active formation reconnaissance regiment, also I've lived in Kensington for a year and often seen them around Knightsbridge and Hyde Park and always admired them.
  4. and it got recommended to me on the role finder thing, i guess via me saying I like working with animals (reasonably experienced rider and i've done a bit of point to point when i wasn't so tall)
  5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Are you a seal?

More seriously, there is a long way to go before final regimental choice - which doesn't take place until your second term at Sandhurst - so it isn't anything to worry about now. Have a good look through online recruiting resources and try to come up with several regiments or corps which might interest you and, in the fullness of time, you will probably get a chance to visit them and get an idea about what they are actually about.
  6. haha i'm not but i am one of the only people in my town/village who's parents werent related...
  7. CJM

CJM Old-Salt

You said you were from Yorkshire, not Norfolk!