Regime Change starts here!Blair sets 5 May as election date

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by socialhandgrenade247, Apr 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last Updated: Tuesday, 5 April, 2005, 10:31 GMT 11:31 UK

Blair sets 5 May as election date

Tony Blair is ending months of speculation about the poll date
    The general election will be held on 5 May, Tony Blair has formally announced.
    Speaking after asking the Queen to dissolve Parliament next week, Mr Blair said Labour had a "driving mission" for a third term in office.

The Conservative and Liberal Democrat leaders pre-empted the announcement by starting nationwide tours of key seats.

Michael Howard accused Mr Blair's government of "losing the plot" while Charles Kennedy said he would focus on people's hopes, not their fears.

The government must now rush to get its remaining legislation through Parliament. Some key bills are likely to fall.

Tuesday: Prime minister asks Queen to dissolve Parliament and prepares to announce a 5 May poll
    Wednesday: Last prime minister's questions
    Thursday: Possible last day when Parliament sits
    Saturday: Campaigning suspended for royal wedding
    Monday: Parliament formally dissolved

Likely campaign timetable
    Howard pledges 'action'
    Lib Dems welcome defector

Earlier, a Labour candidate said he was defecting to the Liberal Democrats.

Ribble Valley candidate Stephen Wilkinson said he was disillusioned with Tony Blair's "increasingly authoritarian" party.

Four opinion polls published on Tuesday suggest Labour's lead over the Tories has slipped to between 2% and 5%. They suggest the Lib Dems trail the Tories by between 10 and 16 points.

But one of the polls also suggests the Tories are 5% ahead of Labour among those "certain to vote".
  2. Wow, now there's a surprise! :D
  3. There had been speculation that Mr Blair would make the announcement in a marginal constituency, but that would have looked foolish.

Howard launched the Conservative campaign earlier in the day.

Michael Howard: Campaign Launch Speech

4. 3 hrs and 29 minutes into it and already the coverage is starting to irritate the .... out of me. Anyone else really that interested in seeing what tony and cherie had for breakfast for the next 5 weeks, just in case it happens to influence the odd voter. Surely the last 7 years should give the average vaguely conscious voter an idea of how they wish to vote, without being told how to by the tabloid press. Or are the press really that incapable of finding other news?
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Sadly, I think that most people seem to want to be told who to vote for by the Tabloids.
  6. Nothing like a free thinking society. Surely this is exactly why Batman had to take down the Riddler.
  7. Quite right a lot of blinkered people out there.
    Oh by the way. Who should I vote for? I seem to remember a film with Richard Pryor in where he set up the NONE OF THE ABOVE Party. I like the sound of that
  8. Unfortunately that option has been made illegal in order to prevent the electorate from showing the govt what they think of them and theirs! :roll:
  9. They don't let you guys vote for write-in candidates?
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Whats a "write in cantidate" NWD?
  11. Suppose I didn't like the choice represented by George Bush and John Kerry for president in '04.

If I wanted to, I could "write in" a vote for anyone I pleased: Pat Buchanan, Uma Thurman, Angelina Jolie, Roy Rogers' horse.

That first one I mentioned, Pat Buchanan, solicited write in votes in states in which he was not on the '00 presidential ballot.
  12. What pissed me off the most was that I received my ballot papers on Monday morning, the 4th of April, Bliar didn't announce it til the 5th so how come? They must have been posted on the 1st 8O
  13. The Government/Electoral Commission's response to an application to register the None of the Above Party was to refuse the application, and then pass legislation to ban it. See This is an outrageous curtailment of democracy and is simply not acceptable. It's time we started demanding this option on ballot papers, with a defined process to follow should the None of the Above vote win a majority. More details on A critical safety net for the electorate, and the most important development in democracy since the Universal Franchise. It's time to get serious about it....