Regarding severe anxiety whilst deployed in afghan

Hi all, I couldn’t find anything to post this under, I have recently been deployed too Afghanistan and have been suffering with severe anxiety. I saw the doctor and they explained we can start doing some therapy too help but I am unable to go on medication or else I’ll be sent home. I need to money to clear a lot of my debt so being sent home isn’t really an option. I was speaking to a mate and he said there’s a possible pay out if I was to get sent home? Like a claim of some sort. Is this true? Thanks

Take the therapy and get on with it. And I can't fathom why anyone would stump up cash because you're removed from a conflict zone, your "mate" is probably talking shite.

Your mate is talking shite and you are grasping at straws. Speak to your chain of command and get the support you need. Hope it works out for you.

Take the therapy and get on with it. And I can't fathom why anyone would stump up cash because you're removed from a conflict zone, your "mate" is probably talking shite.
Yeh I thought myself but I just wanted to ask outside of here thanks!

It may well be the debt situation is belt feeding the natural trepidation of deployment and unkown to you, it being a subconcious group of combined stressors you are confused ( unwittingly at this point) of what your true stressors are.

I'd not "blame" being deployed so soon but I'd not discount it completely. What I also advise as part of your way forward is debt counselling to set out a controlled way of paying it off. You got yourself there insofar nobody (?) else spent your money ( or did they?) so accept that responsibility, get deals done with your creditors using professional guidance and that will ease your situation to let your focus on the job you signed up for.
If you do not, then your situation may downward spiral into being chucked out the mob & bankrupted...which is a worst case scenario only you can confront and deal with.

Debt seems common in the ranks according to my son who left the Army only 5 months back after 11 years & 3 Afghanistan tours. On few occasions he lent small amounts of emergency cash to strong mates with issues back home. He.always got paid back as they knew him better than to screw him over.
Meantime he saved 50% of his wages over 9 of these years ( young, free & single right enough) and just put down a 50% deposit on his first home partly as he witnessed so much stupidity in the ranks with guys chucking their cash around for short term feel good stuff. In that sense, you are far from alone.
When you dig yourself out of your current shit-pile, you should consider setting up an S.O. and build up a buffer.

Good money management is not a brain-stem default button...people need advice and a higher than normal degree of common sense & maturity to see the long game.
Bite the bullet and get help on two fronts...you know what they are.

Last edited:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Hi all, I couldn’t find anything to post this under, I have recently been deployed too Afghanistan and have been suffering with severe anxiety. I saw the doctor and they explained we can start doing some therapy too help but I am unable to go on medication or else I’ll be sent home. I need to money to clear a lot of my debt so being sent home isn’t really an option. I was speaking to a mate and he said there’s a possible pay out if I was to get sent home? Like a claim of some sort. Is this true? Thanks
All nonsense. Take therapy, crack on, earn money, pay off debt, feel good.

Just a shot in the dark, but if you've got that lease car finance thing, what's it call? PCP? Get rid of it.
It's a con and I can't begin to count the number of young people trapped on it paying out a fortune and suffering because of it.

oppoStu

Old-Salt
Take a look at your bank account and see your outgoings, find an easy area to cut down on costs (usually alcohol and food), cancel unnecessary subscriptions that you barely use... are you getting the best deals in terms of insurance etc. its an hour of hassle, but its months of value.

Live within your means.

oppoStu

Old-Salt
All nonsense. Take therapy, crack on, earn money, pay off debt, feel good.

Just a shot in the dark, but if you've got that lease car finance thing, what's it call? PCP? Get rid of it.
It's a con and I can't begin to count the number of young people trapped on it paying out a fortune and suffering because of it.
Agreed with you.

As much as I love my PCP on my BMW (which I got when I turned 18 ), I do regret it now as that is £10k over the years that could have been better spent on a house deposit.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why on earth are you asking that question here?. Use your chain of command.

Do you know what has caused the anxiety?
Mindfullness or CBT might help but therapy is a good thing.
However you're general wellbeing is more important than being in a combat area.
Does the CoC know about this as they might keep you in theater but not in a forward position?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And some money related advice.

When you've cleared off your debt, open a second bank account. Use one bank account for day to day expenses; the other for big expenses. Set up a transfer from the 'day to day' account to the 'big expense' one for (say) £100 each month for the same day your pay hits.

When you want to buy something, wait until there's enough money in the 'big expense' bank account, then buy it. You won't be paying the interest on credit cards and you'll never get into debt. Other than the initial few months while money is building up in the 'big expense' bank account, you won't see any difference in your monthly outgoings either.

If you're wise, you'll keep a minimum of £500 in the 'big expense' bank account, then you'll always have money to pay an unexpected expense.

Wordsmith

oppoStu

Old-Salt
And some money related advice.

When you've cleared off your debt, open a second bank account. Use one bank account for day to day expenses; the other for big expenses. Set up a transfer from the 'day to day' account to the 'big expense' one for (say) £100 each month for the same day your pay hits.

When you want to buy something, wait until there's enough money in the 'big expense' bank account, then buy it. You won't be paying the interest on credit cards and you'll never get into debt. Other than the initial few months while money is building up in the 'big expense' bank account, you won't see any difference in your monthly outgoings either.

If you're wise, you'll keep a minimum of £500 in the 'big expense' bank account, then you'll always have money to pay an unexpected expense.

Wordsmith
Second account being a cash ISA, least you'll have improved interest rates for 12 months - remember to renew it annually!

TheAssassin

Swinger
Why is someone with debt being deployed, let alone serving? And what expenditure do you have in theatre? Being deployed means you are being paid more and having less expenses anyway.

Why is someone with debt being deployed, let alone serving? And what expenditure do you have in theatre? Being deployed means you are being paid more and having less expenses anyway.
Because the army reflects society.

oppoStu

Old-Salt
Bet you can't name 5 people close to you that have no debt.
- No credit cards
- No loans/leases/PCPs
- No mortgage
Point is, the vast majority of people have debt... it's how you manage it which is what is important.

A problem shared is a problem halved and the best cure for anxiety is to talk. Sometimes, it will make you gain some perspective and either a padre, or trusted family member needs to step up and shoulder a little of your burden.

seanhon

On ROPS
On ROPs
The BA is the place for you. All they do is run away from terrorist Taliban when the going gets tough. Dont worry about it

View attachment 410938
When the tours are done just hope you dont become one of the hundreds of squaddies roaming sheffield after a piss up to cope with the mental trauma of being shot at from 700m away. A mental casualty whom now takes out his anger o random civies for wearing boots or having a diff skin color. part of the 15% of uk prisoners whom were veterans in the poorly armed farces

Latest Threads